General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New owner of a used 99 D2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a used 99 D2

I am not familiar with the vehicle at all, I just bought it today for $3k.
I figure from looking that price comes with issues, that is now confirmed.
So I came here of course, the mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I can get more specific once I learn me some terms, and read all the info here. So I am just gonna throw a few things out there in case anyone wants to use them fingers.
1)The rear air lift is not working correct. I can hear the pump run. Doors shut, engine on.
2)Power steering has issues, a screchin noise under hood at idle, I figure the PS pump is shot, noise is up high. Has a V8.
3)Wife says she just saw a green liquid, so I got a leak unless it was the overflow. Just got it so maybe they topped it off a lil much. I watched the gauge the 100 miles home and it stayed centered. It did stall on me at the very end near home, perhaps it got hot, and it is running rough also.
4)And the kicker, the check engine light is on, sometimes solid, sometimes flashing. Gonna put it on a machine and see if it is a sensor, or if I am forking out another grand for a motor. I do think I hear a tick, but hard to tell with the noise from the power steering pump.
5)Hood is hard to open, takes 2 people, not tried reaching and banging on it myself yet, it was to COLD out there today with that wind.

But dang this is a nice ride, has the jungle gym on the roof, matching spare. Hi everyone, I am Zane, from Maryland. Help me pleeeeze. I see one of the main men here has the same ride, so I feel good about this. Thanks everyone

Edit: I am learning already, Disco is not refering to the 70's dance craze.

Last edited by innzane; 02-25-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Land Rover Discovery II Rear Air Suspension & Coil Spring Kit - Land Rover Parts & Accessories At Atlantic British
That takes care of your SLS issue.

Make sure the power steering system is full of course, prob a bad pump, you will not like the price of new, rebuilts are crap, buy a used one.

No overflow on the coolant, it is a sealed system.
Prob a leak, we need more info on that one, like where it is coming from.

Check engine light flashing means SHUT IT OFF because you are doing damage to something, #1 cause for that is random misfires.
New plugs and wires, Magnecore, Kingsbourne or STI plug wires only, plugs of your choice.

As for the hood, lube everything with silicone spray, and I mean everything, not only the hood latch and cable but the door hinges, key locks, pop the LR emblem off of the cargo door and lube that latch too.
Then use bike chain lube on the door stay on the bottom of the cargo door.

Read all the tech sections, the DII side is where you want to be.
Shell Rotella 15w-40 or 5w-40 is the best motor oil for these trucks.
They are full time four wheel drive.
Lots of little problems, but if you are willing to learn and you do most of the work you it can be cheap to keep on the road.
And you MUST use premium gas, no if's and's or but's about it, it is REQUIRED per the owners manual, you will have problems if you dont use it.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Don't worry about the rear suspension yet, nobody cares if it doesn't sit level if it ends up in the junk yard from problem #2.

2.Power steering may be a bad pump BUT may also be slipping belt related to #3.

3. Screeching may be slipping belt because water pump is wasted, which would cause coolant leak.
Coolant leak can cause fried motor, rough running and flashing CEL are BIG red flags here. Compression test would help determine what is going on.

4. You aren't seriously going to drive this thing anywhere, are you? You risk killing what may not quite be dying yet. Buy a scanner, you will use it more than you want to in the future. Doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, just needs to read AND erase codes.

5. Fix the hood release, you will be using it often if you keep this truck.

Premium gas? Really? I've been running REGULAR 87 OCTANE with NO ISSUES for over 2 YEARS! I get great mileage too. MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY TRUCK? NOT!!!

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 02-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not plan on using it right away.
I want to fix it while I still have a lil cash
and cheap parts are available.
Thanks for the tip on buying the used PS pump, what years will fit?
She saw the fluid on the grill, so I suspect a pinhole from trail fodder.
I did use premium gas, no idea if the previous owner did.
I will start with the plugs and wires, PS pump if needed.

I been reading on here for 2 hours, I see the big list of suggested maintinance. Suspension I did not mean as the #1 issue, it is low on the list since it should be an easy fix.

Did I get a fair price? Assuming no terminal issues. I did some searching and found a motor for $1k and a complete tranny/trans/diff for $1k. So I think it's a nice buy even at $4k. It looks great, not beat up or rusted.

Needs one headlight, the trim behind the rear pass door, and the plastic part of the front bumper to look near perfect. Inside still nice too, one rear headrest is stuck down, window switch panel in console is loose, and the drivers seat control has a couple buttons missing.

So tomorrow my adventure begins, well maybe monday as most of my tools are at work. I will see what I can conquer, and be back here when I get wooped.
Thanks again for the tips.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

Premium gas? Really? I've been running REGULAR 87 OCTANE with NO ISSUES for over 2 YEARS! I get great mileage too. MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY TRUCK? NOT!!!
Yup, PREMIUM FUEL IS REQUIRED PER LAND ROVER, NOT RECOMMENDED BUT REQUIRED.
If you want to use the wrong fuel that's on you.
My wife's Volvo says it is recommended but not required, Land Rover says it is required.
I've been using premium gas for 5 years, the original owner also used premium gas.

Last edited by Spike555; 02-25-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah right! Unless they want to warranty the truck at 14 years old and 190K miles they can kiss my ***.

Wrong fuel? Who are you kidding? You can do as LR says, I will continue to use the "wrong fuel" at 17 mpg, no CEL, no issues at all running wise.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Thats fine, I will spend the extra $5 per fill up and use what Land Rover says, set your truck on fire and roll it down a hill I dont care.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Want I should use regular or premium for the fire? Or don't you care?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Use diesel.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Is that what LR recommends?

Quick Reply: New owner of a used 99 D2