General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Rover owner. I bought one of these almost sight unseen. Doesn't run. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rover owner. I bought one of these almost sight unseen. Doesn't run. Advice?

I've been in the auto industry for ever but I've never messed with one of these. I bought a 97 Landover discovery xd from a friend 50 miles away from me. Hopefully, I can drive down this weekend and make it drive home. It's been sitting for 2 years. I have ignition keys but no door keys. She thinks it needs a starter because it started intermittently before leaving her stranded. I'm leaning toward sylinoid but have no clue if it's external.the key cylinder has been replaced so I have ignition keys but no door keys. Basically, I'm locked out of a vehicle I have no access to. I guess there's a
Local guy on here that works on these and has a ton of parts. If you see this post, I'd be happy to buy used stuff to get this thing going. Rover is located in Columbus oh. I'm near Mt Vernon.

Last edited by Stangjunkie; 06-04-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Could be brushes or oil between block and starter, not just the solenoid. Coat hanger it on driver's side. How do you lock all the doors without a door key or fob? That's what I'd like to know....... Good luck, post up when you get there.

The following users liked this post:
Stangjunkie (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 AM
4wd Low

Thanks man! I think she has a fob for it but it's been sitting for a couple years and the battery is dead. I borrowed the lock out kit from work. I'm going to round up tools and head down soon. Wish me luck! I think she said the local Rover guy lives in canal Winchester but I'm not sure.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 PM
4wd Low

Well. I got a late start on it but I got in in it. That's pretty straight forward and takes 5mins or less. I hooked jumper cables to it and holy crap those horns are loud! At this point, I have jumper cables on it with the horns unplugged. I tried locking myself in it for a few mins and getting out. No luck. I'm reading that the lock cylinder is part of the system. Can I pull the trim panel and unplug it to bypass it so I can narrow it down from there? Again, I only have ignition keys. No door key.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't know how to disable the alarm on the late models. The drivers door key has a switch that activates/deactivates the alarm. It requires the tumbler to rotate. If you boot the tumbler out of the door you might be able to rotate the switch. If you remove the door panel you'll see it. 10mm for the armrest and a phillips for the inner door handle. If you try to start it as it sits now you'll lock yourself out of it running as well so don't try. If there's a dealer or locksmith you might get them to make a key, the dealer will require the VIN.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Obviously you know the alarm is activated with the horns disconnected....... the fob would need to be paired to the truck after the battery is renewed and that won't happen with the alarm activated. Disconnect the battery for now while your putting a charge on it. You might have to come back when you have a door key made by someone and then it's lock/unlock three times to shut the alarm off. If you somehow bypass the alarm don't post it in the clear, don't want the world to know how to beat the alarm so they can hijack your new yellow bus eh.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 PM
4wd Low

I take it all of the xd's were bright yellow? Because this thing is for sure a short bus! Thanks again for all of the tips and info! I'll keep researching and pull the trim panel tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I really don't want to sink a ton of money in the thing but I think it'll make a decent trail rig/ work truck.

Last edited by Stangjunkie; 06-04-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

It's an XD, you should do what you can to get er fixed up. They're getting more rare and with the prices climbing it could make you a few bucks. AA Yellow and yes they where. It's a no frills Disco (aside from the alarm). If it has all of it's factory add-ons it's worth your time to get it into good shape for trail and town. How many miles on the clock?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:51 PM
4wd Low

180k I think. Everything is there and seems to be mostly original. I have all of the service records. The engine was replaced under warranty I guess. There were several issues with it as a new vehicle. Windshield leaks, gate alignment, etc. Another plus is it has only had 2 female owners before me so it hasn't been abused.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy

.....I've known some females who take lousy care of their rides....... like letting it sit for two years and not have a door key!!!! If it is the starter going bad a DII's starter is same same and generally they're a little easier to source, I have one on mine now, was a roll over with low miles I snagged at the bone yard.

The 97 is the best of the two years they offered the XD's. 96 had crossover parts from 95 but not the 97. I bought a 97 SD which is like the XD but silver, without the doodads of the XD and without sunroofs and was much cheaper........ The XD has a "Special Vehicles" plate meaning it was built at Solihill and got better attention than line vehicles. Again, you should get er in shape, worth saving an icon of the Camel Trophy era which the XD is a analog of.....sort of.

Quick Reply: New Rover owner. I bought one of these almost sight unseen. Doesn't run. Advice?