General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

I have a 2001 Disco II and my temp guage when red the other day and i drove it back home. only about 2 miles back. When i got home i opened the hood and there was steam coming out from behind the engine. I think something busted and it was leaking all on the engine. It leaked alot, does anyone know what exact part i need to replace cause i can't see the hose back there.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Overheating

What is the mileage on your truck?
Sounds like you blew your intake manifold and good chance you will need head gaskets also.
Mike

Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Mudding

101K It seems as if a steel line has busted, idk though. My coolant reservoir is completely empty. idk what to do cause i don't know how to make sure that was it without taking it off and i am not sure i can put it back on once i take it off.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Steve,
If you lost that much coolant, don't even think about driving it, your engine can't take that sort of overheating, you will drop a sleeve or crack the block so have it towed to a good shop tomorrow.
Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Mudding

Yea i called my local land rover guy. he says its most likely the heater hose. i loaded it with water(cause it leaks slower than coolant) and 3 jugs of water. I was able to get it to the shop (15 miles) with out the temp gauge moving higher than half way. he is going to look it over first thing tomorrow morning and fix it if it is the heater hose. All for free.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Steve, unless the heater is dripping on the carpet,it won't be the heater core. Does your mechanic have any Rover experience?
You might want to send me you tele number so we can talk cause I think you are looking in the wrong direction.
Mike
mikeljcacob@comcast.net

Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Mudding

He has been buying Land Rovers and repairing them for the past 7 years or so. He is someone i trust. he thinks it was the heater hose, but he is looking at it now and i haven't heard from him today yet so i am gonna call him here in a sec.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

It would be great if it is just the hose.
Make sure the the mechanics bleeds all the air out of the engine ot you will still have over heat issues, also make sure you only use DEXCOOL coolant, no green or yellow at all.
Let us know how it turns out.
Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Mudding

dexcool? hmmm i wonder if thats at advance auto or o'rileys. I hate o'rileys

Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Mudding

ok i talked to my guy and he says that he never saw a leak. He let it run, he drove it around and brought it back. He said he will let it run and park it inside his shop and leave it over night. The pressure should show where the leak is or if there is a leak at all. well i know there is a leak cause it was all over my driveway.

Quick Reply: Overheating