General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating DiscoII

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating DiscoII

I'm having an overheating problem on my 99 DiscoII. The vehicle overheats within 8-9 minutes of driving. System was bled properly. Here is what I replaced in the last few weeks. Installed new head gaskets, vc gaskets, thermostat (twice), both upper and lower radiator hoses, radiator, MAF, IAC, new heater hoses, coolant temperature sensor and switch. The first day after I did the repairs it didn't overheat until after 1/2 hour of driving and i could hear water swishing noise from heater core area so I assumed it had an air pocket. I now have used my Snap-on coolant exchanger to suck out all the air. Just to be sure, angled tube on thermostat goes to pump? Is there something I'm missing or did I make a mistake when installing the headgaskets. The gaskets really go on one way. Had the heads rebuilt and resurfaced before installation. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
6th Gear

Whoops, water pump was also replaced along with new radiator cap.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Default overheating disco

I have a similar problem with our 2001 disco, but now have coolant in the oil and just waiting to find the time and money to take it apart and see if we can reuse anything. It started using coolant and we kept the res full when we thought to look at it but it eventually overheated and that was that. I did the head gasket thing but that only lasted about 30 min. So I would suggest you make sure you dont have any coolant in the oil, I'm told it because a sleeve has moved in the block and now allows coolant into the crankcase. I plan to get started ASAP with ours and will keep posting any problems I find. Jneil

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DMLINC
I'm having an overheating problem on my 99 DiscoII. The vehicle overheats within 8-9 minutes of driving. System was bled properly. Here is what I replaced in the last few weeks. Installed new head gaskets, vc gaskets, thermostat (twice), both upper and lower radiator hoses, radiator, MAF, IAC, new heater hoses, coolant temperature sensor and switch. The first day after I did the repairs it didn't overheat until after 1/2 hour of driving and i could hear water swishing noise from heater core area so I assumed it had an air pocket. I now have used my Snap-on coolant exchanger to suck out all the air. Just to be sure, angled tube on thermostat goes to pump? Is there something I'm missing or did I make a mistake when installing the headgaskets. The gaskets really go on one way. Had the heads rebuilt and resurfaced before installation. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Quit driving it and send me your tele number, I'll call you tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Drifting

Remove spark plugs and look into cylinders with a flashlight for coolant entry.If any of the cylinders have coolant inside,you probably have a slipped cylinder liner or a cracked block(assuming the head gasket job was done correctly).
If coolant entry is the case,then you probably need a new block.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm peeved that such an expensive automobile ( and expensive to maintain) falls down dead in the road (or wilderness) the first time it boils over. Its not very durable,I would expect as much if it were an inexpensive auto. I'm going to keep ours because if I can repair it and use it for a couple of years, I'm in to deep to sell it as is because its not worth any thing the way it is and its to expensive to have someone else repair it----I'll keep everyone posted as I take it apart----------------------Neil

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Coolant temp sensor??

my water pump failed totally while driving my 2002 disco causing the serpentine to come off. After replacing the water pump i started the car it ran fine for about 5 minutes then i heard a pop like a spark pop and the truck shut off. i tried to restart and it just cranks good with absolutelty no sign of catching. now i have heard two common causes for this. crank pos sensor and coolant temp sensor. crank ps seems a bit of a long shot seeing that the car stared fine at first and shut off on its own. would a BAD coolant temp sensor stop the truck from starting at all??

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Start a new thread, your trucks issues have nothing to do with this old thread, and post it in the d2 section where it belongs.