General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Aftermarket headunit install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!! Aftermarket headunit install

Hey (I searched for days to no avail)

I've got a 2000 D2 (Harmon Kardon package, amp under driver's seat) and I'm trying to install an aftermarket headunit (Pioneer DEH-7300BT) with a Turbowire 70-1786 harness and getting NO SOUND WHATSOEVER from the speakers. I've hooked the red to the red on the harness, plugged the 4 RCA plugs in and I'm getting nowhere. I can post pics, describe in greater detail what I'm dealing with, literally anything (I'll even call you!!!!) but can someone PLEASE help me or point me in the right direction???

Thanks in advance

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After receiving no help, I've decided to answer my own question as I figured it out over the course of the weekend. My knowledge of car audio was extremely limited before performing this kick-in-the-***** task but I hope this helps someone else some day.

a) I used the Turbowire kit. If you are using this kit, connect the ISO plugs as usual where they fit. From the harness, connect the red to the red on your deck, the yellow to the yellow on the deck AND (the tricky one) what is labeled as the antenna on the harness to the blue/white striped wire (on mine it was labeled amp power) on your deck. Don't have to worry about the orange as this is simply a dimmer and is probably useless to you anyways.

b) Continuously check your fuses. I blew a couple while doing the install which made troubleshooting a hell of a lot harder. It also didn't help that the previous owner had a 10A fuse in slot 33 (a 15A slot) that somehow did not blow but was keeping me from getting power to the speakers.

c) You do not need to modify the tri-coloured block (blue/yellow/green) at all. Tuck it away somewhere as this controls the CD changer under the passenger seat and your steering wheel controls that you will lose if you're using the same harness I used.

d) GROUND YOUR **** PROPERLY!!!

Any questions will be gladly answered as I realize how frustrating this process can be. e-mail m_t_reid@yahoo.ca for best results.