General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Range Rover Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Classic

I have a 1993 Range RoOver Classic and am experiencing the following issues:

1) Transmission (or transfer case) clunks while downshifting from 3 to 2 to 1. and makes the same clunck while changing from park to drive or drive to reverse. It seems to be coming from the transfer case. Has anyone changed or tightened the transfer case chain?

2) Brake ABS pump always comes on afterapplying the brakes. Is this the sign of a bad accumulator?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Range Rover Classic

Clunk could be from universal joints or the chain, if you get under the vehicle and try to turn the prop shafts by hand you may be able to determine where noise is coming from.

ABS accumulator should be able to handle several applications of the brakes - haven't got access to a manual but I think there is a defined number of applications BEFORE pump comes on.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
5th Gear

Thanks Bill E!!!!!!!!

I tried turning both front and rear drive shafts by hand. They are solid. I know Land Rovers by nature have a clunck shifting between reverse and drive. The clunking only happens after the transmission fully warms up. I did a 6 quart flush with the Lucas trans fix. I will complete another flush to make sure.

Quicky question: where is the fuse related to the clock?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Three Wheeling

OK I think you are in the US, if so VIN numbers change and some vehicles in some markets are a bit different and the years have some differences.

The short answer I don't know where the clock fuse is ... BUT, on mine the mainfuse box is on the dash facia, mine is RHD so it is almost infront of the passengers right knee, I understand some models in the US have a fuse box to the right of the steering column, I assume this is probablysimilar to mine except the steering wheel is on the other side.

Mine is also hard dash without a glove box in the dash and my Heater/Air-con controls are sliders not rotary ***** and may be like a '92 in the US market.

The only other fuses I have been able to find are the ABS fuses under the passenger seat and a couple under the drivers seat which I think may be to do with electric seats or seat heaters which I don't have.

NOTE: My vehicle has NOfuses at all under the hood.

Having said all that I would just check all fuses because the clock may be coupled with something else.

Good luck, hope this helps.