General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaced my fuel pump....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced my fuel pump....

and it only took me 25 mins the most! I followed the sticky in this forum and it worked like a charm! Only difference is, my disco 97 uses a screw on fuel line! No problem, I bought an adaptor which are parts ( NRC 9770 ) and ( NRC 9771 ) 2 sets of each, an olive and a coupling! They are about 32 dollars total! A very simple installation if I may say!
Here's how I did it!

After lifting up the carpet and opening the fuel pump cover:

1 I lubricated the plastic retaining ring with wd-40 to loosen it up and the fuel fittings as well!

2 Depressurize the gas tank by loosening the gas cap

3 unplug the electric cable and unscrew the fuel lines ( which are already loose due to the lubricant )

4 tap the retaining plastic cap with a screw driver counterclockwise until it's easily turned by hand

5 slowly pulled up on the old fuel pump but only HALFWAY AND LET IT DRAIN ALL THE WAY! As soon as its fully drained, I pulled all the way up until the fuel measuring lever hits the top of the gas tank, tilted it on the right and pulled all the way out!

6 I removed the black rubber gas tank gasket, cleaned it and reinstalled it back

7 Now, slowly lower the new fuel pump tilted on the right at first so you don't damage the fuel lever and as soon as it's clear, slowly lower the pump in place

8 screw back the retaining plastic ring clockwise and tighten up with screwdriver and hammer by gently tapping

9 Now since I have a screw on fuel line, I inserted the coupling ( NRC 9770 ) followed by the olive ( NRC 9771 ) into the nozzle of the new fuel pump and screw them back on to the fuel lines ( making sure they're tight )

10 Plugged back the electrical connector

11 Wipe them off clean

12 Tighten up the gas cap

13 Before securing the fuel pump case cover, I tested it to make sure that there are no leaks whatsoever by turning the ignition halfway to hear it kick it in! As soon as it's kicked in, I started the engine and checked again for any leaks!

14 When satisfied, I went to secure the fuel housing cover

Forteen steps but can be done easily in less that 30 minutes! Most of the steps I did were just plain common sense!

Thanks to LRF, I saved over 400.00 usd