General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Something sounds loose!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something sounds loose!

Hello all-
I have a '93 RR that's a real tank and has been pretty darn perfect thanks to good routine maintainence.
I have just recently noticed a loose metallic sound while driving under load around the front passenger area. This only happens while driving and it's not a constant thing. I've popped the hood and wiggled and giggled and am stumped! Otherwise runs strong at 139k.
Any places you can point me to would be appreciated!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Something sounds loose!

Is one of your cats failing, rattling?
Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
5th Gear

Ok, I think that what we're going to try is some gear lube around the diff and knuckles. I've noticed that when you make right hand turns, it seems to come from around the wheel well. Being a beloved Rover, if it doesn't leak - it's empty!
If that doesn't do the trick, then the cats will definitely be looked at.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input.
A

Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

If your swivels are low on fluid they will make a clicking sound when making a sharp turn.
Let me know what you find.
Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

I filled up both sides and checked the front diff (which was full). The passenger side where the noise is coming from actually had more lube than the driver's side. Both are now topped off and I still find that the sound is there - although less prevelant. I'm stumped although I've not spent a lot of time trying to diagnose. It definitely sounds like something is not properly lubricated or something is hitting something else. Drives well but uphill at full throttle sounds like I'm dragging something. Ahhh, the mysteries these cars hold!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

If you feel that the noise is coming from one of the swivels, maybe it is better now, that would be an indication of a possible CV joint inside the swivel starting to fail so keep an eye on it.
Mike

Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
5th Gear

Turns out that the u joint needed to be replaced. The bearings were all gone and you can't beat the price at the local Advance store for a new one. Everything is running smoothly and silently now, whew!
Now, all we have to do is get pour '01 Disco running. I really HATE Land Rover of Roanoke.
About the Disco. Started to run rough and got misfire codes on 4, 6, and 7. changed the plugs and O2 sensors and it didn't do a thing. Took it to one guy that is supposed to be a really good Rover mechanic. We called every week for an progress report for three weeks. By week four, he finally told us that he hadn't done anything to it and didn't know if he even wanted to try and suggested that we take it elsewhere - leaving us no choice but the Land Rover dealership - UGH!
First, they told us that before they began to really dig in to the car, they needed to change the plugs because we put in Bosch instead of Champion. The price for this was $200. Since when did Champion plugs get so expensive (hee hee)? THEN, they cross threaded and wanted to charge $1300 for a heli coil. At that point, we yanked it (missing a plug and on the bed of a tow truck) and took it to a guy that put in the heli coil for $90. Found a guy that used to do work for us in the past and who's a hell of a mechanic, works on Rovers, AND a Brit. He's really expensive but not as bad as the dealership. Discovered that dude who put in the heli coil or Land Rover filled the engine with metal shavings, I need a valve job, potentially a coil pack, lifters, etc. Interesting part of this story...when taking everything apart, one of the valves was bent! I saw it and sure enough, it was. Now we're trying to figure out how that could've happened before the repairs go any further. Any suggestions? Anyone wanna buy a beautiful '01 Disco? There goes the college fund...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Hey, college isn't what it used to be any way.
How many miles on the 01, what sort of oil service history?
What do the rocker arms look like?
Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Mudding

clang a driver against the cats and see if one rattles first -- before switching ujoints... local muffler shops in florida will weld in a new cat for about $100.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 PM
5th Gear

I honestly have no idea about previous maintenance on the '01. I am a fanatic when it comes to our Rangie and routine care. We bought the Disco in October of '06 with 52k on it. It started getting kinda funky on us around January. I, between Oct. and Jan., changed the oil/filter probably once a week - seriously! I tried 50 wt., Lucas, Lucas with 50 wt., etc. trying to trouble shoot.
I ran a CarFax report and discovered that it used to be a rental. They (I imagine) would have to be pretty good when it comes to maintaining things - it would suck to be a stranded customer. With that being said, it would also suck having misc. people with different driving styles and no long-term commitment to the vehicle drive the hell out of it, fill it with ****ty gas, etc.
I must say that it's positively SPOTLESS inside and out. Looks like it just rolled off the line. Just won't run. Sigh.

Quick Reply: Something sounds loose!