General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering Continues To Bind! Need new ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Continues To Bind! Need new ideas!

Issue was that the steering on my '03 Discovery 2 would bind when recovering from a left hand turn. Particularly with the stress of turning left at the bottom of a hill and then going uphill. By bind I do not mean it would get sluggish. I mean that it would lock up tight as if it was caught on something. If you really yanked on it, you could recover, with a loud "Pop!". However, if you did not attempt to force recovery from the turn and let the vehicle return to wheels-forward by itself, it would not bind.

Here's what I've done so far: Replaced the Tie Rod and Ends. Replaced the Drag Link and Ends. Replaced the CV joints and axles. Replaced the upper and lower ball joints on both sides. Those eight ball joints were all torn up, so I figured that was the culprit. Just put it all back together, and I still feel some binding. The search goes on.

Here is another interesting observation/clue: I adjusted the power steering (at the suggestion of another forum member) by turning the adjuster on the box one half turn clockwise. The immediate result was both less "power" in my power steering, but more importantly that the "binding" morphed from locking up tight when recovering from a left turn, to more of a dead spot in the middle of the steering wheel rotation, about 5 degrees off straight ahead.

I do have a new high-pressure power steering hose that I will probably attempt to install, next. But I don't think a lower than optimal power steering pressure would make my steering lock up, only make it more difficult to use. I also just read something that says to check my strut mounts. Never even considered that. HOWEVER ... why would the binding spot shift when adjusting the power steering pressure. I really hope I don't have a steering box issue. Thinking I'll try replacing the steering u-joint before i take on that big bill.

Help me if you can. Right now I'm exhausted and broke, but I have to figure this out or get rid of the vehicle.