General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strong smell of gas in exhaust fumes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong smell of gas in exhaust fumes

Sure, I may be thinking too hard here...I dont know.
But today i had to pull the Rover ahead to get out my 4 wheeler to plow this G#@ D@&# white stuff AGAIN!
anyway, i started, moved, and stopped the Rover all within about a minute, INSIDE the garage with door open, and noticed a fairly strong smell of gasoline in the air,,,of course i sniffed the tailpipes and they too smelled pretty stong of gas. i will say my snowblower and 4wheeler kind of smelled similar after shutting them down inside the garage so perhaps im just looking for something that is not there...
now, im a generally a diesel guy, been driving a duramax chevy PU truck for years so im not "used to" "normal" gas motor odors, let alone Rover odors.

it is an '08 Range Rover with 30,000 miles on it,,,runs like a clock otherwise. No warnings errors or anything on the dash.

wondering if you guys smell this in your LRs, do they run on the "rich" side, or should i be concerned.

service is due in march so ill be sure to mention it to the dealer since it is still under warranty but perhaps this is routine???

thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it.
All cars run rich when cold.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for reply. yeah, figured as much as well.
after sniffing my wifes tail (pipe) on her navigator last night and my inlaws suburban when they stopped over for a visit (yes, all thought i was ready for the nut bin) last night there is no difference in mine from theirs...smell that is.
let it run awhile in the cold (10 here this am) and the gas odor went away in minutes. slight condensation drip on ground from exhaust tips...smelled and tasted like nothing but water.
so, good to go i figure...
thanks again.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man I bet everyone thought you were a nut sniffing tailpipes. lol

Water from the exhaust is a normal by-product of internal combustion, but its not safe to drink so dont collect it to water the dog or house plants.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man I bet everyone thought you were a nut sniffing tailpipes. lol

Water from the exhaust is a normal by-product of internal combustion, but its not safe to drink so dont collect it to water the dog or house plants.
It is safe to collect for the neighbors dogs that keep pooing in your yard though.