General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission fault - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fault - HELP

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Glad to be on here...i think

I have a 2006 full size range rover and approx 3-4 months ago i got a "transmission fault" light that came on. I took it in and they checked it out quickly and couldnt find the error. Then just recently it started coming on again much more frequently. Sometimes the yellow trans light symbol stays on for a while and then turns off. Took it in again, and all they did was state that yes there was a problem but didn't know what it was. They re-set the computer or codes but that didn't fix the problem. Now its happening again. Sometimes when i go down or up a hill, sometimes when i accelerate and just the other day i noticed it was running close to 500 RPM's when parked. They suggested i flush the trans fluid and do some other minor stuff but that costs $800 + and thats guess work. Love the car but honestly i can't handle these thing popping up all the time.

Can someone suggest something? Battery / Tires / Sensors / hope not a new transmission cause we can't afford that

thanks everyone

Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a loose battery terminal or a battery thats on its way out.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you know what faults are/were stored? Any documentation on your invoice?

Transmission flushes are more preventative maintenance and rarely fix a problem.

Did they check the fluid level? Has the fluid level ever been checked (there isn't a dipstick).

Your Rover has the 6HP26 transmission and there is a bunch of things that can cause issue, but the information at this point is to vague to even know where to start. Perhaps a different shop?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 AM
6th Gear

I'm trying to dig up my invoice but I remember it not sayin much. I think a different shop might be good. I agree with you on the transmission flush being preventative. The level has never been checked that I know of. I just hate paying hundreds of dollars for them to come back and say "not sure it could be a bunch of things let's start trying some stuff and hope it works and this is a LR dealership".

The yellow transmission light symbol comes on all the time. Sometimes it stays off for a day but the comes on after I get the "transmission fault error on the dash". Does anyone know if I'm damaging the car by driving it?

Shops are all closed till after the New Year

Thanks and more to come

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Winching

What symptoms do you have, before the "fault" light and message appears? Any flare between gears, any gears missing?

Its hard to say if you'll do more damage by driving it, you certainly are not doing it any favors! Typically, if the LR dealer condemns it to be internal, either a clutch problem or solenoid/mechatronics issue, they will simply qoute you a replacement transmission (they don't go into them).

Without knowing the specific code stored, its hard to say what the issue could be.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM
6th Gear
Default great news

Well great way to start the new year...i took it into a different shop and they placed it on their computer did a software upgrade and determined that its clutch soilnoid problem. after road testing the car they indicated that the entire transmission needs to be replaced as there is no other fix (not a sensor / not a battery...) they don't do this kind of work and sent me to 2 different places for quotes. Both came back at anywhere from $6,000 to $9,000 Canadian to replace ; which unfortunatley we can't afford. They also reccomended i sell the vechile as is to someonone who would want to take on this problem. They said the car eventually will not want to accelerate

I can upload the fault codes but that's the story

I might take it into a Rover dearlership to get another take on it and spend that money but at this point not sure if i should

happy new year to me!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
6th Gear
Default Fault Codes

P0741

limp mode

P0730

Torque clutch performance

Gear ratio

Transmission fluid was very dark

is it possible to repair these or do i need a reaplacement transmission (which i can't afford)

Last edited by zsiklic; 01-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Winching

You can take it to a Dealer, but all they will want to do is replace the unit.

The transmission can be repaired, but you need to take it to somebody that knows what they are doing. I repair them all the time.

I don't know of any places in Canada, but here in the States, there are some ZF distributors that you can send them your transmission and they will rebuild it for you, for a much cheaper price then what you quoted.

It sounds like the shop's attempt to "fix" the problem, made it worse. I see this a bunch. usually, the shift adapts compensate for transmission wear and solenoids that gradually fail. As soon as you do a software upgrade or reset of the shift adapts, all of the "compensations" are wiped out and pressure values go back to stock on a worn transmission. The TCM can't compensate and learn fast enough and just keeps going into Transmission Failsafe.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
You can take it to a Dealer, but all they will want to do is replace the unit.

The transmission can be repaired, but you need to take it to somebody that knows what they are doing. I repair them all the time.

I don't know of any places in Canada, but here in the States, there are some ZF distributors that you can send them your transmission and they will rebuild it for you, for a much cheaper price then what you quoted.

It sounds like the shop's attempt to "fix" the problem, made it worse. I see this a bunch. usually, the shift adapts compensate for transmission wear and solenoids that gradually fail. As soon as you do a software upgrade or reset of the shift adapts, all of the "compensations" are wiped out and pressure values go back to stock on a worn transmission. The TCM can't compensate and learn fast enough and just keeps going into Transmission Failsafe.
So how do you prevent this from happening in the first place?
Replace the trans fluid and filter at "X" miles?
Or is this just a common fault with these transmissions? They reach a certain age and just give up the ghost?

I have also wondered about this, why does a cars computer need a program upgrade ever?
Its not connected to the internet, all it needs to know is its job and thats all it needs to know.
So why would anyone ever upgrade a cars computer?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Winching

When a manufacturer designs a product, there is constant R&D to improve an existing product. This is either in attempt to fix problems as they come up, or for future products. As they finds fixes to "bugs" and better ways to handle things, they institute software changes and often times retrofit back to previous models. They might find that a particular shift routine was too aggressive or code setting criteria was too sensitive, etc...

There are many times where a software update only, can fix a customer's concern. With transmissions, the usual fixes are for harsh shifts and such and rarely address a "Transmission Failsafe" concern.

As for ways to prevent it, about the only thing you can do is routine fluid service. BMW also uses this transmission and their stance was always "lifetime" fluid. They later stepped back and gave it a 100K service interval (which for some of the newer BMWs, is its lifetime anyway... LOL) But ZF states that it should be serviced every 60K, so take it for what its worth. I recommend 60K.

Solenoids go bad, they wear/stick with age. Mechatronics adapter seals split. Bushings wear out. I have not seen any evidence that proves routine service prevents these type of failures, but it sure can't hurt.

One thing that can be prevented is low fluid level. No dipstick means nobody checks the fluid level. If the plug adapter, pan or whatever seal starts leaking, it usually goes unnoticed until the fluid level is low and issues pop up.

Quick Reply: transmission fault - HELP