General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Warning lights suddenly on

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning lights suddenly on

I was traveling down a dirt road that was pretty uneven and my ABS system kept kicking in, accompanied by a "spring" sort of vibration in the pedal. Once I stopped, everything was fine until I fired it up the next morning to go to work.

Now the ABS light is on, the "TC" light (whatever that is), a red "SRS" light and the downgrade indicator ( I pushed the switch in and out but the warning indicator on the dash remains lit).

Is this possibly just a fuse or circuit breaker issue, or do I have some work to do?

thanks

Russell

Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you read your owners manual yet, kind of doubt it since you don't even know what your traction control is. Do a little reading and when you have a little better idea of what makes your truck tick, then get back to us.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you read your owners manual yet, kind of doubt it since you don't even know what your traction control is. Do a little reading and when you have a little better idea of what makes your truck tick, then get back to us.
Okay, I sat down and read my manual from cover to cover, with special attention to traction control, hill decent and the SRS airbag system. Additionally, I went online to learn more about traction control in general and even some information on all-wheel drive vehicles. All in all, I spent about 4 hours between my manual and the internet.

Then I went out to my rover and upon starting it up, discovered that all of the lights were still on just as they had been before I understood what they meant. Did I miss reading something?

I hold a master's degree in neuroscience and graduated summa *** laude with more than 20 years experience in my field. If it's anything to do with the human brain or nervous system, I know it backward and forward.

I know little, if nothing, about automobile technology and have learned through my own profession that if a troubleshooting problem lies beyond your skill set, keep your hands off of it without proper guidance and training. A person can read all they care to about what makes something tick, but that alone does not confer the experience required to determine what problem(s) may exist or how to proceed in correcting the issue.

Essentially, I'm no farther along at this point than I was prior to reading my owner's manual. What makes a vehicle "tick" for me is knowing where the gas nozzle is and how to depress the accelerator and brake pedals at the appropriate times, along with use of the steering wheel in a safe and coordinated manner. I also keep my registration current. Other than that it's not my area of expertise, so I look to others with regard to troubleshooting.

Thanks for your time. For me I suppose it's a trip to the LR dealer or local repair shop because while I'm competent to change a part here or there under guidance or instruction, knowing what the problem may be requires experience.

Russell

Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your TC and ABS and check engine light are all on?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM

what kind of truck and whats the mileage on it?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

If the lights stay on, then a hard fault has been set in your ECU and it will only be cleared with the proper scanner that can access that section of the ECU.
2 questions for you, do your brakes squeak and if you throw a panic stop from 30 MPH on a loose surface, can you feel the ABS pulsation thru the brake pedal?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Three Wheeling

It's a 2001 Disco II with 134k mi. The only thing I had done relative to the brake system was new rotors all the way around. The problem, however, started about 500mi later.

I'll take it for a ride today and perform the panic stop at 30mph to determine whether the brakes squeak or ABS can be felt in the pedal. When I was riding over bumpy terrain before the lights came on, I could both hear and feel the vibration from the ABS in my brake pedal. The ABS light would flicker during the vibration. It sounded like the noise a large spring would make when struck.

Also, the ABS, TC and SBS all went off for a day or so and then when I was backing out the other morning and hit the brake, I could feel the ABS vibration for some reason and that's when all the lights came on permanently.

Once I test-drive it and perform the panic stop, I'll post the results and thanks for everyone's response and assistance.

Russell

Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM

new rotors without new pads? ...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry, the pads were new. They had been replaced just before I purchased it but when I took it in to get the transmission fluid flushed and changed, the mechanics said that the rotors were scored and two of them had been resurfaced and were now too thin. He showed me several spider-like cracks on the surface and said it was from overheating. So I just replaced the rotors. They said the pads were fine with more than 90% remaining.

I performed the panic brake stop . . . no squealing and the pedal reacted sharply with a very strong vibration from the ABS. What does this suggest?

R

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Time to go get the codes read, not by a dealer. Once you get the fault codes, ask them to clear the codes, drive it for a couple of days, if they come back then get back to us with the fault codes.