General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What the!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the!!!

OK so I did some investigating. My disco is equipped with the ignition amplifier relocation kit but when I looked on my distributor there is no spot to mount an amplifier as a matter of fact there isn't even the two prong plug that would fit the amplifier. There is just wires that I have directly wired to my amplifier is this normal????

Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Drifting

You have an aftermarket kit. Quite possibly a Mallory

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM
4wd Low

oh ok that would make sense then. Do you know if it just hooks up to the factory harness, right now its run through the amplifier relocate kit and the amplifier itself, which im assuming is the problem im having with the hot start issues since everything else is checking out like it should, I may also have a slightly leaking injector and a plugged vapor canister or failed purge valve for that.

but if it plugs into the factory wiring then I think I should be able to get that part working again by getting rid of the relocate kit correct??

Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Drifting

I believe this kit runs 2 wires to the remote amp and from the amp to the primary coil connections completely bypassing the factory harness. You did not mention your driveability issue in your first post, so what exactly is going on?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:16 PM
4wd Low
Default I think I got a couple of problems

OK so all in all, I replaced the engine with a used one. All parts on the engine came with it, including the distributor injectors everything. I do have the original parts from the original engine.

My issues in total are

I can start the truck run it till warm then it will stumble under acceleration will die unless I very slowly depress the throttle. Now when the disco dies it won't restart for about another 20 minutes sometimes a little less, acts like its flooded, smells like it too. I swapped out the coolant and fuel temp sensors with the one from the original engine, no change in problem. Now I did notice also that there seems to be a large amount of pressure in the gas tank when removing the gas cap, I do mean pressure and it is excessive, way more than any should.

Now I got new plugs, good cap and rotor and wires. Sensors seem to ohm out OK. Tps ohms good, can't see or hear vacuum leaks, did go through and tighten down all the intake manifold bolts as well. Fuel pressure is 37 at key on fuel pump relay is good. When throttle is depressed fuel pressure will drop to about 30 maybe a hair less then come up to 40 psi and hold steady.

I also replaced the fuel filter to be safe. Now I got a little guess that I may have some leaky injectors or a failing pressure regulator. But I'm a little curious as to what it could be may still also be an amplifier too even with the relocation kit. I also noticed there is no, forgive me cuz I'm having a brain fart, but basically the distributor surge protector but the coil has one.

I'm running out of things to check

Thank you for any help

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you try running it with the fuel tank cap off? Maybe the pressure that builds in the tank is causing it to flood.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 PM
4wd Low

I have not yet but only cuz I am out of town right now ill try that out tomorrow night when I get home though and I found this all out the day before I left on monday

Old 03-01-2015, 12:26 PM
4wd Low
Default update

OK so got the old disco up and running. Found out I had a couple plug wires backwards. Also found lots of fuel in the cylinders. Replaced plugs, blew out the cylinders and got the timing taken care of as well.

She's running but I found that she is over fueling like crazy. Black smoke even when hard throttle. Checked coolant and fuel temp sensors, resistance looks OK on those.

My next step is going to clean out the MAF sensor and dump in 10 gallons of fresh 91 octance.

I did go ahead and replace the fuel rail, pressure regulator and all 8 injectors with ones that I already and cleaned, fuel pressure looks better now too, running with the cap off the fuel tank did not change anything. I'll update a little later to see if the cleaning of the MAF sensor does anything

Old 03-02-2015, 04:45 AM
4wd Low
Default update #2

OK so got the MAF sensor cleaned, there was some dirt buildup on it but not the issue. Cleaned all the connections for the tps and iac. Did find that there were improvements but they were not the issue. After much searching and checking I found that the coolant temp and fuel temp sensor connectors were backwards.

Now those parts were already undone when I got the truck so I had to guess, I swapped them around at one point but due to a failing coolant temp sensor it was inconclusive. Replaces the temp sensor, swapped the wires. Set the timing to 6 btdc put the champion brand plugs in after cleaning all the cylinders out, due to over fueling caused by incorrect plug wire locations. Also ensured that the IAC was cleaned once more. Topped off with fresh gas.

I will update again in a couple days but at this point I think its resolved with the issue being the sensor wires being reversed, stupid I know

Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM
4wd Low
Default update #3

OK folks,

So its been about a week, the mighty disco is running like a top. So good news my own $%@& up was the root of the evil. Yup I admit it, stupid I know.

Also got another question, does anyone know if the there is another diagnostic reader for the 14cux in the disco 1 other than the lynx or Hawkeye

Many thanks