General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield Wipers and hot girls

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers and hot girls

Nah not really about hot girls but I got you to click on it!

Anyway, I reciently was talking to Mike on the phone and he enlightened me to the fact that my 04 Discovery doesn't have "normal" mounts for windshield wipers. I could either spend a ****load on LR OEM wipers, or buy the Silblades, which are better but still a ****load of money! I ended up getting some Rain-X blades for about $5 a piece, taking out their rubber blades, and putting them into the old LR wipers, and viola works like a charm!

Anyway, this got me thinking, why the heck do you replace the whole metal bracket when you buy a new wiper blade? Just changing out the rubber works great, and you don't waste as many materials if you just buy the rubber. Its such a waste, and rubber fillers alone would be cheaper to sell because they'd be cheaper to package, cheaper to ship, and cheaper to make insted of the whole unit! Are there any wiper companies that advertise a blade you only buy once, then just change the rubber? This seems like a very economical option if you can always buy the rubber cheap, but I had to buy the whole blade and have a rubber-less rain-x wiper sitting on my work bench.

Just thought I'd write, as it seems really pointless to change the entire "system" (for lack of better terminology) when really only the rubber is going bad.

Last edited by brianb883; 09-24-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Any real auto parts store has the inserts. Even Wal$#% has them. Just slide out the old rubbers and in with the new.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by d2luvr
Any real auto parts store has the inserts. Even Wal$#% has them. Just slide out the old rubbers and in with the new.
Wal-Mart is only selling the entire units. To get just the rubbers you've gotta go to an auto parts store like NAPA, and lets face it, if soccer mom's even thought about doing it themselves, they'd buy the pretty yellow package with the complete Rain-X wiper blade in it. Heck even the Firestone Complete Auto up the road installed new Bosch blades on my parents cars.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Drifting

They sell the complete kit because its easier to exlain and easier to install then changing out the rubbers. I recently just did the same thing for my wiper blades, however after doing so I found out the passenger clip is broken, so now i have to spend the $70 to buy the entire set so I wont have to worry about the blade flying off the windshield.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Question Wiper Blades

Hi

I have a bigger problem with the dealership in Cairns Australia, they insist on replacing the complete wiper arm every time you need new wipers and at a cost of approx $200.

The Disco3 rubbers are glued in and do not separate from the blades. Has anyone tried the silicone Silblade from USA. I was wondering if they would fit our right hand drive vehicles and not lift off the windscreen as they would need to be put on upside down?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Simplicity is really the only thing you gain by selling the whole assembly. If someone would design a wiper blade with a quick release system on the rubber and make it easy to change out, then we'd be in business!