LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

"Soft" brakes pedal..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Soft" brakes pedal..?

last week while at a trafffic light, noted brake pedal to become "soft" and travel longer, but the car would brake just fine, only you'd have more pedal travel distance.

Dealer found "air in the system", bled the system, seems OK now.

I can't understand how the air got into the system?

3 mo. ago I changed pads and rotors, but I never disconnected the calipers.
Credit to the dealer, they did not try to blame the problem on my new self-instralled brakes .

Any one with a thought?
thanx

Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: erer"Soft" brakes pedal..?

couldn't tell you why that happens it just does but more importantly, why did you replace the brakes in the first place? Did they wear out? If yes at how many miles.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling

I changed brakes trying to get less brake dust -installed EBC 'ceramic pads' that turned out almost as dusty as OEM.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you crack the bleed screws open when squeezing the caliper pistons back into their bores? If you did, which is good, you might have not closed them soon enough, allowing air to enter the system. I have done it before without realizing it.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: tacomatech

Did you crack the bleed screws open when squeezing the caliper pistons back into their bores? If you did, which is good, you might have not closed them soon enough, allowing air to enter the system. I have done it before without realizing it.
No, did not open the bleeder screws. The pistons were pushed back into the caliper by 3-5 mm.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Rock Crawling

OK. The bleeders need to be opened on these when squeezing the pistons back in(shut before you stop squeezing to keep air from getting in). Unlike focus's and malibu's and other common vehicles, these vehicles are sensitive about having fluid pushed back up the circuit. In doing so, an internal leak may have been caused in the process.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: tacomatech

OK. The bleeders need to be opened on these when squeezing the pistons back in(shut before you stop squeezing to keep air from getting in). Unlike focus's and malibu's and other common vehicles, these vehicles are sensitive about having fluid pushed back up the circuit. In doing so, an internal leak may have been caused in the process.
Would it (not opening the bleeder screws) cause any permanent damage? Wouldthe internal leak you mentioned above be in the master cylinder?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, it could cause permanent damage. If your brakes feel and are working fine now, then I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, it would be in the master cylinder, if damage did occur.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling

The brakes feel fine now, I was told they (dealer) bled Master cylinder as well. I hope I did not cause any permanent damage,
Thanks a lot for your help-I will open bleders next time I do the brakes.

PS
Strangely, I never had any problems doing brakes on 2005 Volvo XC90-never opened bleeders there.

The brake pads on LR2 are the same as on 2007-08 Volvo S80, I thought the system is very similar.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Rock Crawling

About half the vehicle is the same. If the brakes feel fine, then there probably isn't any permanent damage. It is weird that the xc90 had no issues afterward, but it could be the half that is Land Rover......

Quick Reply: "Soft" brakes pedal..?