LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

2011 LR2 Key Fob won't work, battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 01:58 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 LR2 Key Fob won't work, battery dead

Hello--
I was out of the country for over 3 weeks, left my car at airport and came back and the key fob would not work to open locks. Totally dead. I figured it was from all the airport xray machines as I took several flights. The smart key also would not open lock. I got a locksmith to come and open the doors and I was able to get inside.
I had read you can start it another way so that was my plan but it did not work and later I read that was only for 2015 and newer.
So I rented a car, came home and was going to have a guy change the battery in key fob, from previous experience I know it has to be soldered. He tested it and battery good.
From inside the car I try to insert the key fob into the slot but it won't stay in.
So I am pretty sure it is the car battery. I want to get it jumped in order to get it out of the airport lot and home (about 1.5 hrs away) but if the fob won't stay in slot how can I do this.
Or if I get a mobile mechanic to come out and change the battery at the airport will the key fob automatically pick this up and work or is there something I need to do to make it sync?
Thank you so much for any help!

Old 09-29-2022, 03:51 PM
Winching
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

If the battery is just discharged (likely) then as soon as you connect it to another operating vehicle with jumper cables it should have enough voltage to power the system and start up.

If you think the battery is worn out, just buy a new one and replace it. I'd do that if it's 4-5 years old.

Also If the LR2 is not driven for 28 days, it disables itself to save the battery...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37...t=disabled+key

The following users liked this post:
ThorInc (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 04:17 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

You will have to use the actual key, so remove it carefully from the rectangular plastic housing, to unlock the driver door. You can google how to do this on youtube and then once you get the door open physically, pop the hood latch and jump the battery. Make sure if you get things going to get the battery fully charged up or it will quickly discharge..

Once you find the video, just take you time and be patient while you insert the metal part of the key to remove the cover. It will pop off reasonably easy once done correctly.

Last edited by ThorInc; 09-29-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:35 PM
4wd Low

Oh wow, thanks! It was 28 days. I am going back tomorrow and will just get a new battery. I think it might be 4 or 5 years old but it is a red top and I have had no warnings...will post what happens.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:41 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Thor, just as info for people to know---I did watch a video and knew how to do this and I got the housing off, exposing the keyhole and key would not turn in lock. Drove me nuts as I knew I was doing it correctly. I had to call a locksmith who popped the lock, on passenger side, he did not have much hope especially with tinted windows but he did get it unlocked. What he told me about the key thing was if I bought the vehicle used (I did) that sometimes they lose a key fob, have one made and yet the smart key part does not match. That is my case exactly.
But car is open, I just need to try the jump or get the battery, hopefully. I am not confident since the key fob will not stay in slot. But we will see.
thanks for reply!

Old 09-30-2022, 01:15 PM
Winching

The dealer should be able to make a new emergency key from the VIN, you'll want to have one of those. Maybe a locksmith can too?

New battery is the safe and easy solution, given it's age.

But if you manage to jump the old battery, I would then take it to an auto parts store or shop to get fully charged and tested. Otherwise it may (likely) create more problems in the future.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:45 AM
4wd Low

Great news, it was the battery!! The slot gripped the key fob once battery was charged and I think like another poster said the battery had disconnected itself after 28 days.

And I am getting the key cut for emergency, learned my lesson there!

Thanks all!

Old 10-01-2022, 08:58 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Appreciate the update, these LR models of that time are total battery hogs and computer/electronic subroutine nightmares. If you have access to the JLR software and programmer, reset all the ecu errors caused by a slowly discharged battery. If not, @merlinj79 has posted a very detailed procedure on how to do a full hard reset once you have a fully charged battery. It's on this very sub-forum likely on a few threads on battery issues.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:40 AM
4wd Low

Thank you Thor,
I had such an issue a few years back with not starting it during Covid and even trying to jump it would not work. Ended up it got towed and battery was good but it was reset stuff. My mechanic at time called the LR2 a parasitic battery drain. LOL
But having said that, I got this thing with 30k miles, now have 130k and other than fob/battery/electrical all I have ever had to do was brakes and tires, a starter and of course routine. I love it so much that in fact I bought an Evoque that was 5 years newer. When I moved back to my rural house I knew I did not need both and chose to keep the LR2!

Old 10-01-2022, 01:39 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by globalgrl
Great news, it was the battery!! The slot gripped the key fob once battery was charged and I think like another poster said the battery had disconnected itself after 28 days.

And I am getting the key cut for emergency, learned my lesson there!

Thanks all!
Glad to hear.

I'd still get the battery tested. After 28 days, it will mostly go to sleep, so the fob remote won't open the doors. But the fob should still work in the slot to start the car, that's how you're supposed to wake it up after 28 days: use the manual key to open the door, then use the fob to start it.

Quick Reply: 2011 LR2 Key Fob won't work, battery dead