LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

aftermarket radio on an LR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket radio on an LR!

Hi guys, considering buying an lr2.
The thing is that I've heard that when you replace the OEM radio you loose the trip computer is that right? Anyone has replaced the OEM radio so far?
Thanks
T

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: aftermarket radio on an LR!

What's wrong with OEM radio?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
5th Gear

For the european and latin american market, Land Rover uses two or three radio models. I have access only to a LR2 with an Alpine CD400 (one CD/mp3 and 6 speakers, counting the tweeters) . the sound is horrible, trust me. My current car has a Nakamichi Head unit and I really can tell the difference, so I was considering getting an aftermarket HU and replace the main spekers.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

LR2 uses digital/fiber-optic system. You can install aftermarket head unit and amp, but DO NOT disconnect OEM faceplate/ display, and do not disconnect factory amp. CD changer can be disconnected.You can try to "hide" the display somewhere inside the dash, but leave it connected to the harness, same for the amp ( if you find it).

Thenyou can tap into speaker wires after they come out from factory amp,and the car "thinks" that OEM system is connected.

PS
Volvo XC90 uses similar system, search on http://www.swedespeed.com under XC90 for the radio/sound system, etc.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
5th Gear

THANKS m1964 FOR YOUR REPLY, VERY SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THAT, I TOUGHT IT WAS EASIER, I STILL NEED TO FIND A DASH KIT, FOR A DOUBLE DIN HU.
OR I CAN GO OEM AND REPLACE HU, PLUS SOME SPEAKERS TO GET AT LEAST AN "SE TRIM LEVEL RADIO", AND EVEN MAYBE AN AMPLIFIER ( I AM NOT CERTAIN THAT THE CHEAP ALPINE CD 400 HU COMES WITH ANY) BUT IT WILL BE TOP $$$$

Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: TURBOTICO

THANKS m1964 FOR YOUR REPLY, VERY SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THAT, I TOUGHT IT WAS EASIER, I STILL NEED TO FIND A DASH KIT, FOR A DOUBLE DIN HU.
OR I CAN GO OEM AND REPLACE HU, PLUS SOME SPEAKERS TO GET AT LEAST AN "SE TRIM LEVEL RADIO", AND EVEN MAYBE AN AMPLIFIER ( I AM NOT CERTAIN THAT THE CHEAP ALPINE CD 400 HU COMES WITH ANY) BUT IT WILL BE TOP $$$$
I don't think it is possible, but installing double-din NAV/DVD is probably doable, most likely needs to be done by a pro shop

Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Overlanding

I bought my LR2 with the whole thing and have the Alpine 440 watt, 14 speaker, 7.1 dolby digital surround. I think it sounds fricken awesome especially when listening to Sirius since it's broadcast in digital. The only thing I intend on changing is the amount of bass. I need more and will most likely install an aftermarket JL Audio sub and Amp. I got quoted about $1400 to build a custom box, install, parts and labor.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi guys, considering buying an lr2.
The thing is that I've heard that when you replace the OEM radio you loose the trip computer is that right? Anyone has replaced the OEM radio so far?
Thanks
T
I had all the speakers replaced -my SE model came w/ 6-CD changer and 9 speakers -all the woofers are made in Malasia by Phillips -why they put "Alpine" on the grilles?..

the OEM amp is not putting enough power for new speakers (Boston Acoustics in rear, JL in the front), so I will be installing Alpine amp after OEM amp -taking speaker-level output from OEM into Alpine amp.

Will report when done (next week?).

I do hear treble now , which I have not heard with OEM speakers, but OEM amp does not drive the woofers well.

I also plan to change OEM sub to JL aoudio 6" sub (discontinued model)but I found it at http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2073

Will report when all is done.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:04 PM
5th Gear

HI m1964!! Any update on the OEM amp replacement? Where is the OEM amp located? what's the oem door speker sizes? , where is the factory sub located? mine comes without the sub, but I am planning on installing one. any pics would be great. one more question why Boston Acoustics in rear and JLs in the front?
regards
turbotico

Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling

HI m1964!! Any update on the OEM amp replacement? Where is the OEM amp located? what's the oem door speker sizes? , where is the factory sub located? mine comes without the sub, but I am planning on installing one. any pics would be great. one more question why Boston Acoustics in rear and JLs in the front?
regards
turbotico
They have not received the amp yet-so nothing done yet.

The OEM amp is located in the right rear quarter behind the panel-you would need to remove the plactic piece on top of bumper cover, then remove the side panel(held by clips) to access the OEM amp.

The woofers in the doors are 6.5". Front tweeter is 1".

I had rear Boston acoustic speakers from previous install (they did not sell on ebay for what I wanted), so came handy now.
I wish I never soldfront BA speakers then...

OEM sub is next to spare wheel in a plastic enclosure. if you want REAL base, get a subwoofer box, if not-decent component speakers will pump enough base. I am replacing sub onlyto matchthe new speakers in quality.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio on an LR!