LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

key fob charging

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob charging

Hello all,I tried searching for a previous post but found none that addresses my issue.I don't drive my lr2 much and the batteries in the fobs go dead.They will revive if you drive the car a long distance and I understand that they are a wireless charging system.Has anyone had success using any sort of inductive charger,say for an iphone or toothbrush,that would work on the LR2 fob to keep them charged up while on the shelf?My batteries are new.Thank you.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 553 Likes on 462 Posts

What year LR2 do you have? To my knowledge LR2 key fobs don't recharge. They use a coin battery for the button functions, not easily replaced, but it can be done. The function to allow starting and such does not use the battery.

When you say "My batteries are new." to which batteries are you referring?

Old 12-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Winching
Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts

The battery actually does recharge, while it's docked in the vehicle. The failure mode on the battery is that they simply wear out from charge cycles over time and can no longer hold a charge for long, or at all.

The battery is used solely for the remote lock/unlock and panic functions.

When the fob is docked, it's circuit board is powered inductively by the dock. That allows it to communicate wirelessly with the vehicle for starting, regardless of the battery status. Worst case with a dead battery you use the mechanical key to unlock the door, and then the fob still starts the vehicle.

No idea if a cell phone, etc charger could charge the battery. You can buy and program aftermarket key fobs, but read this thread first... I was able to do that with an Autel 200 dongle and software...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10...?highlight=fob

Or just go to the dealer and they'll fix you up with a new one and program it for a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by merlinj79; 12-04-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
The battery actually does recharge, while it's docked in the vehicle. The failure mode on the battery is that they simply wear out from charge cycles over time and can no longer hold a charge for long, or at all.
No, the FOB on LR2/Freelander 2 uses a CR2032 battery which is not rechargeable. The only 2032 series battery that is rechargeable is the LI2032, a lithium ion battery, The housing for the key does not support charging, only wireless power for the unlock function.

Old 12-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

When the battery died in my FOB, I replaced it myself following YouTube video instructions. You need to have a soldering iron with a fine tip, a steady hand, and a lot of patience. I purchased a replacement battery and FOB case on eBay. It worked fine for a few years.

When I needed to replace it again, I damaged the circuit board while attempting to desolder the battery. So I ended up paying the dealer for a new one.

If you feel ambitious, here are a couple online resources:

https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...uctions.58270/

Old 12-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Pro Wrench

You need intermediate to advanced soldering skills and tools to change the battery on the FOB. I had training at the NATTC in Memphis when I did avionics training, so was able to change the battery, but most people will find it daunting. Unless you have the skills and tools, you are better off buying one from a dealer and having it paired to your car,. or buying a third party FOB and a Mongoose cable with the JLR SDD software to pair it yourself.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:57 AM
Winching
Received 282 Likes on 216 Posts

The gent in the video above posted a link to the replacement battery, it's a VL2330 rechargeable Li-ion...

Also here's a quote from the owner's manual...

"Remote battery
The remote control batteries are recharged
when the remote is docked and the engine is
running. For this reason it is recommended
that each remote is used periodically. This will
ensure that the batteries are kept charged and
ready for use."

CR2032 is the right voltage, and looks like it would fit so it would probably operate the fob OK. Not sure how the 2032 would like it when the system tries to charge it however.

I do agree that soldering on miniature electronics is a special skill and you're more likely to damage the PCB, thereby wasting your time and money for the battery. I do plenty of soldering but wouldn't bother trying it on that small of a scale, need special equipment and practice. Cheaper to just get a new one.

Last edited by merlinj79; 12-05-2021 at 10:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by merlinj79:
mvan231 (12-07-2021), ThorInc (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by merlinj79
The gent in the video above posted a link to the replacement battery, it's a VL2330 rechargeable Li-ion...

Also here's a quote from the owner's manual...

"Remote battery
The remote control batteries are recharged
when the remote is docked and the engine is
running. For this reason it is recommended
that each remote is used periodically. This will
ensure that the batteries are kept charged and
ready for use."

CR2032 is the right voltage, and looks like it would fit so it would probably operate the fob OK. Not sure how the 2032 would like it when the system tries to charge it however.

I do agree that soldering on miniature electronics is a special skill and you're more likely to damage the PCB, thereby wasting your time and money for the battery. I do plenty of soldering but wouldn't bother trying it on that small of a scale, need special equipment and practice. Cheaper to just get a new one.
I stand corrected, it does take a Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. I was confusing it with the Ranger Rover fob that was sanely designed for easy replacement of a CR2032 battery.

The following users liked this post:
mvan231 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 318 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by tedjan
Hello all,I tried searching for a previous post but found none that addresses my issue.I don't drive my lr2 much and the batteries in the fobs go dead.They will revive if you drive the car a long distance and I understand that they are a wireless charging system.Has anyone had success using any sort of inductive charger,say for an iphone or toothbrush,that would work on the LR2 fob to keep them charged up while on the shelf?My batteries are new.Thank you.
Are you sure that you need to "Drive the car a long distance"?

Provide some data to show what you have done.

Can you be certain that after driving the car for over 6 minutes that the FOB won't communicate with the vehicle?

Take a look at this link (for reference I replaced the battery in the FOB for the link but my spare FOB has the original battery)

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37675.html

Here is my data

1. New battery in key FOB

2. About 30 days without starting the LR2

3. The Vehicle completely ignores the FOB, emergency key required

4. Drove the LR2 for over 1 hour to charge the main battery and everything now works as expected

5. It is likely that the key FOB resumed working after 6 minutes of that drive

6. Charging the battery in the Key FOB would not prevent the communication problem

7. Root cause: remote handset rolling code loses synchronization with the CJB, the remote handset functions will not operate.

How do you know that you have a Voltage problem and not a rolling code problem?

Thanks

Paul

The following users liked this post:
mvan231 (12-07-2021)
Old 05-16-2023, 04:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue and sometimes it would work and sometimes not (then reverting to the manual key`) and decided to see if placing the fob on my cordless phone changer would work and YES it does - 3 months now with no flat key and no further issues. The charging light on the base does not come on but it works !!

Quick Reply: key fob charging