LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 - 2.0 turbo (Ford Ecotec) - achievable life mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022 | 08:01 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default LR2 - 2.0 turbo (Ford Ecoboost) - achievable life mileage

Hi all - had to replace the turbo/manifold unit on my 2.0T 2014 LR2 at about 40k miles (this was shocking to me but turned out to be quite common). The manifold had ruptured (a hole) - cause unknown. Today I tore up Vail pass accelerating hard away from the other vehicles which was awesome but I am now concerned about the longevity of this engine based on its relatively small size and the high pressure associated with the turbo charging. Currently the car is coming up for 70k miles. I would appreciate experience of any LR2 owners (or RR evoque) with the same engine in an attempt to establish the mileage that should be attainable. Is an engine replacement / rebuild feasible or required? Will a new turbo be required every 40k miles. Any other relevant data / facts.

Sincere Thx
Jim

Last edited by flyingscot; 05-19-2022 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wrong engine name
Old 04-09-2022 | 08:09 AM
Winching

I'm at 160k on a 3.2, hoping to go to 200k+.

In general, I would not consider keeping a blown four-banger for that long unless I planned and budgeted for a new motor along the way. Turbos are consumables, with automotive tech and cost budgets they will not last long-term... similar machinery in jet engines is highly reliable, but at several orders of magnitude higher cost.

With modern engines it's usually not cost effective to rebuild (or buy a new motor) unless you just love the car and are willing to go all out. Usually the economical replacement option is a low-time salvage motor (with certified miles). If enough of them fail it could spawn a cottage industry for rebuilds, but it's probably beyond your local garage.

Curious to hear what others have experienced though.

Last edited by merlinj79; 04-09-2022 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
flyingscot (04-14-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 09:01 AM
|
Three Wheeling

thx merlin - totally agree - wish I had a '6' but the turbo does go like stink....

In an attempt to promote longevity I will change the fluids regularly - more often than LR state - eng oil / rear diff / haldex / transfer case / transmission. LR seem to have designed the car for 100k miles life which is shocking in this day and age. Cars in Europe on average do 1/2 the mileage that N.American cars do over their life - this likely explains LR's 'sealed for life' strategy with some of the components, eg the rear diff etc....

Will be interesting to hear from 2.0L turbo owners - their actual experience.

LR2driver (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 10:24 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by flyingscot
... Cars in Europe on average do 1/2 the mileage that N.American cars do over their life ...
I didn't know that ... very interesting!

flyingscot (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022 | 01:07 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Here's a reasonable article - overview of 2.0L EcoBoost engine - see linky below - gives some background - ultimately the article states Ford 2.0 EcoBoost is a 150k mile engine based on experience of the engine's application across all vehicles (not just LR2s - here's hoping . Next target for me will be 100k miles then review. At the rate we add miles that could be another 3 years.https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/

FYI - Ford 2.0 EcoBoost Common Problems
  • Cracked Exhaust Manifold
  • Turbo/Boost Control Solenoid Failure
  • Low-Pressure Fuel Pump Failure (LPFP)
  • Carbon Build-up

Old 04-09-2022 | 01:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Here's a reasonable article - overview of 2.0L EcoBoost engine - see linky below - gives some background - ultimately the article states Ford 2.0 EcoBoost is a 150k mile engine based on experience of the engine's application across all vehicles (not just LR2s - here's hoping . Next target for me will be 100k miles then review. At the rate we add miles that could be another 3 years.https://tuningpro.co/ford-2-0-ecoboost-engine-problems/

FYI - Ford 2.0 EcoBoost Common Problems
  • Cracked Exhaust Manifold
  • Turbo/Boost Control Solenoid Failure
  • Low-Pressure Fuel Pump Failure (LPFP)
  • Carbon Build-up
Ford makes disposable vehicles. Combine that with the fact that most people in this country have no clue how to take care of their cars and it makes for a great business model for the car manufacturers.

flyingscot (04-14-2022)
Old 04-10-2022 | 09:45 AM
Winching

thx merlin - totally agree - wish I had a '6' but the turbo does go like stink....

In an attempt to promote longevity I will change the fluids regularly - more often than LR state - eng oil / rear diff / haldex / transfer case / transmission. LR seem to have designed the car for 100k miles life which is shocking in this day and age. Cars in Europe on average do 1/2 the mileage that N.American cars do over their life - this likely explains LR's 'sealed for life' strategy with some of the components, eg the rear diff etc....
Makes sense, my commute to work is 120 miles. One way. My wife just did a 1000 mile spring break trip in the western rockies. One way.

flyingscot (04-14-2022)
Old 04-29-2022 | 12:00 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Hi folks - thread update - 2.0L T 4 cyl engine (Ford Ecotec) - just completed 70k / 8 year service which covered the following 'non-routine' service work:

- Rear Diff'l - fluid change (previously done at 40k / 4 years)
- Haldex - filter + fluid
- Transmission - fluid change
- Transfer case - fluid change
- Brake - fluid change
- Power steering - fluid change
- Coolant - fluid change
- Serpentine belt

Also checked the wheel bearings and suspension for play - all good. Had independent shop do the work (would have taken me a fortnight ) - cost was approx $1700 for parts + labour.

Before putting the car into the shop had changed out the following (myself) as part of the same maintenance program:
- engine oil + filter
- the brake rotors + pads (all 4 corners)
- spark plugs

Thx
Jim

guy (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022 | 08:14 AM
guy
Winching

We are of like minds. I too change these fluids at roughly these intervals.
Question is, is it actually prolonging the life of any part?

flyingscot (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022 | 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench

The bigger question is if you believe not changing fluids will affect the life of a part...

The following 2 users liked this post by flybd5:
flyingscot (05-09-2022), guy (05-09-2022)

Quick Reply: LR2 - 2.0 turbo (Ford Ecotec) - achievable life mileage