LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2 2008 Raised Roof Rail Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR2 2008 Raised Roof Rail Install

I'm contemplating installing raised roof rails on my 2008 LR2 SE. Interested in advice from anyone having experience w/installing similar. I'm considering installing OEM roof rails... unless there is a better option? Can anyone provide/describe the installation procedures for OEM rails. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Mudding

I have a 2010 LR4 and chose to install the extended roof rails myself. I chose to go with the Factory Land Rover rails, rather than installing something aftermarket for a few reasons:
1) LandRover designed them to fit
2) Because there are drain holes and the weather stripping material, i didn't want to risk any problems

The install for the LR4 proved to be a bit challenging and took longer than expected because I did not have the right tools. All told, I probably put in about 10 hours, just to get everything lined up properly and get the screws to set right.

Instructions were alright, but could have been a bit more informative. As these cars are sold globally, the instructions are pictures only. I wish I had taken photos of the steps. For the LR4, I first had to remove the plugs holding the factory weather stripping down (they actually unscrewed as opposed to pulling out). Next, I had to remove and cut the weather stripping. I then had to align the factory rails into the slots on either side. this was a huge challenge as the rails were perfectly straight, but the roof/glass has a slight curve. I also had to align the rubber siding to curve properly to channel the water. At that point, it was simply a matter of screwing the rails in.

At the end of the day, I saved several hundred dollars and am extremely happy with the look, finish and quality. I don't know how significantly different an '08 LR2 is, but I have to imagine it will take you awhile. If you are handy, go for it, otherwise, expect to shell out several hundred to the dealership to install for you.

Best of Luck!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

BD - Did you purchase the rails from a LR dealer, or from a site on the internet?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Mudding

I purchased from my dealership. I was lucky enough to receive a 20% off accessories coupon from LR corporate, so that saved some bucks. If you buy them from the dealership, you'll save the hassle if something isn't right. I buy plenty of stuff online, just not big ticket items.

By the way, all the measurements are in metric units, so make sure you measure three times before cutting