LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

LR2.tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021 | 08:40 AM
|
1st Gear
Default LR2.tire pressure sensor

Tpm sensor issue.i would like to clear tpm light.I've read that on lr2.it's located under the steering wheel to reset.but I can't find it.I've noticed most vehicles have a simple reset button.in glove compartment or near drivers side.but just can't find it on lr2.i don't have vehicle manual.
can anyone help me with this.the light drives me crazy.thank you in advance

Old 02-26-2021 | 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench

You are talking about the TPM module, not a sensor. The module is a receiver for the signals from the TPM sensors as well as the handset. The sensors are located in each one of the wheels. On the diagram below, it is #1. Each tire has one.

The following users liked this post:
mvan231 (12-09-2021)
Old 02-26-2021 | 01:45 PM
Winching

Do you know why your TMPS light is on or what triggered it?

Old 02-28-2021 | 01:44 PM
Winching

It comes on if

a) one or more of the tires has low pressure (not just a little low, but a lot).

OR

b) one or more of the TPMS sensors on the wheels is bad. That usually means a dead battery. They typically last about five years. If you're near or past five years probably best to have them all replaced when you get new tires. Any decent tire shop should be able to do that, just let them know in advance so they have the sensors on hand (there are aftermarket options).

Alternatively you can do it yourself, but it's not trivial because you have to deflate and break the bead on one side each tire. There are youtube videos on how to do that. If you mark the tire position you should be able to keep the original balance. You'll also need a gadget to program the sensors for your vehicle, you can buy that with the sensors. Looks to me like a PITA, I'd probably just take it to the tire shop (or the JLR dealer if you prefer a 500% markup).

Last edited by merlinj79; 02-28-2021 at 01:46 PM.
flybd5 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021 | 05:58 PM
Winching

The TPMS light will be solid when tire pressure is low, and flashing when the sensor battery is dead or there is a malfunction. Note that some vehicles (not mine) have a fifth TPMS sensor on the spare tire. My TPMS light has saved me numerous times when it detected low pressure from a nail or screw in my tire. Modern tires don't look flat like they did decades ago, so I would not have noticed that my air pressure was low otherwise. TPMS gave me advance warning so that I could add some air and get it patched before any tire damage or driving episodes occurred.

I replaced all my TPMS sensors at ten years. The original batteries had not died at that point, so I did it as a preventive measure when I purchased a set of four new tires and the tire shop had to replace/balance all the wheels anyway. My local LR dealer wanted a fortune to sell me four new TPMS units. So I purchased an OEM set from an online discount store and provided them to the independent tire shop to install. Their generic TPMS programming tool got them working with the new tires (I'm not really sure if they had to reset my TPMS to recognize the new sensors, or if the vehicle automatically detects them after driving ten miles ... I've seen mention of both methods).

Typically, there is a message displayed on the information screen on the dash that corresponds to a TPMS light. It will tell you which tire is low on pressure. You have to scroll through the screen displays using the button on the end of the stem on the steering column to show the appropriate screen. If there is no message, it's likely a fault.

I have a wireless Autel TPMS scanner that I point to each wheel. It pings the TPMS sensor and receives all the info for that tire ... battery condition, temperature, and PSI. This is a great diagnostic tool when the TPMS light comes on. Or if you are lazy and want to check your tire pressures without bending down and using a conventional gauge, just point and click! The last time I did this my neighbor walked by and asked "What the hell are you doing?"

If the TPMS light is driving you crazy, I imagine that it's flashing and not solid. If you don't replace/repair TPMS and just want to ignore the light, the simple hack is to place a black piece of tape over the light on the dash. You'll have to remove the clear plastic cover over the speedo and I'm not sure how easy/difficult that is to do.

flybd5 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-06-2021 | 06:43 AM
Winching

Hey, mine was on for a year plus because I never reinstalled them when I changed tires. I eventually disabled the light using JLR SDD software in engineering mode........not for the faint of heart.

Old 03-06-2021 | 11:12 PM
Winching

Nothing better than having the right tool for the job! I checked to see if a fuse could be pulled, but I didn't see any fuse labeled for TPMS.

Old 10-15-2021 | 08:22 AM
Drifting

I hate to revive an old thread, but my daughter's LR2 is saying pressure monitoring system fault and the light flashes then stays on solid. I had new tires put on at a tire shop and they confirmed all the sensors are working properly (now anyway, one had to be replaced), but they don't have a method of interacting with the main system module itself to further diagnose.

The tech I talked to said there was some sort of localization procedure that might need to be done based on what he found out from talking with a few people, but I'm not sure what that means or how to even reconfigure it, if it can be done...

Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2021 | 08:32 AM
Winching

Try disconnecting the car battery for a while, touch the cable ends together, then reconnect. Let it sit for a while and turn the car. Maybe the computer reboot will clear it up.

mvan231 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mvan231
I hate to revive an old thread, but my daughter's LR2 is saying pressure monitoring system fault and the light flashes then stays on solid. I had new tires put on at a tire shop and they confirmed all the sensors are working properly (now anyway, one had to be replaced), but they don't have a method of interacting with the main system module itself to further diagnose.

The tech I talked to said there was some sort of localization procedure that might need to be done based on what he found out from talking with a few people, but I'm not sure what that means or how to even reconfigure it, if it can be done...

Any ideas?
It looks like they might have changed one or more of the sensors. They need to be paired to the car. A battery reset will not do that. That can only be done with a diagnostic system like JLR SDD, but some tire companies can do that. Call around and see if you can find a Land Rover shop, otherwise you will have to take it to a dealer.

Quick Reply: LR2.tire pressure sensor