LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Raised roof rails + crossbars

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raised roof rails + crossbars

I have been looking at getting the raised roof rails + crossbars for my LR2, and would appreciaite anyone that currently has them to let me know what you think.

I read a thread on another message board regarding the rasied roof rails + crossbar for the Freelander 2 over in the UK. They apparently have sunroof and no-sunroof versions. I assume we get the sunroof version in the US since it's not an option on the LR2. They had complained about noise from the fixed crossbar on the raised roof rail kit, and I wanted to know if that was a problem with the US version. (They claimed that the sunroof version did not exhibit this problem)

I also wanted feedback on the LR crossbars. Are these standard size and do most roof storage options work with them? Would you be better off buying the Thule crossbars that fit the LR2?

Thanks for any insight,
Carl

Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Raised roof rails + crossbars

clmolar,

I have had a roofrack and crossbars on my LR2 for about a month now. I purchased the parts from the local dealer here in San Diegoand intended to do the install myself. Once I read the installation instructions, I quickly closed the box and made an appointment with the dealer to do the install. I coulld'nt believe how complicated the installation looked.

Anyway, now that the installation is complete, to answer your question, yes, you do get some wind noise. It is not terribly noisy, but it is noticable. Besides the noise, there was one part of the roofrail assembly that did not quite fit very well so the dealer has had to order a complete roofrack assembly to fix the problem.

Bottom line is; I think it gives a distinctive look to the LR2 thatI like alot andI have a way to transport my skis this winter. Hope the info helps in your decision.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Drifting

jim2342, out of curiousity, does any part of the roof rail assembly cross over the sunroof? The dealer, because we were one of the first to get our car, couldn't answer that question for me, so we declined having them installed. In a way I regret it, in another I don't. Just wondering if the crossbars miss the sunroof, or do they cross over it?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
faq
4wd High

I have the rails and cross bars. The fixed crossbar that is a part of the rail system is well back of both sunroofs. The two cross bars can be set anywhere i.e. over the sunroofs or not.

Be prepared to spend over $1,000 for the rails and crossbars with installation. They don't fit well either because of gaps, etc. Cheaply made in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

I am new in this forums.
I just installed roof rails over the week end ( no cross bars).It took me over 3 hours. If you have proper tools, it may take less time.
It does have noticeble humming noise when it reach speed at 70 on high way.
But again, I believe roof rails is a must on this beautiful driving machine.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 AM
3rd Gear

I have been told that you can get the raised roof/rail system from LR dealers.
Then you can buy to your hearts content the crossbars and any adaptation from the rack leaders Yakima or Tule. They are a little less expensive that the attachments from the dealer and can be customizable much more. They however do not have the raised rail system for the LR2 yet. So you have to get that from the dealer.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
4wd Low

Hey!

I'm a new owner of the LR2 and have got roof kit from utahparts.com for almost half price of the local dealer. It took me 2-3 hours to install it - the process is MUCH easier than described in instruction - still require some drilling. The fixed cross bar is a magic for mee too - I didn't install it. Didn't notice any noise - probably it comes from the cross rail.

Does anyone figured what is this cross-rail for?!? Looks like this part is unnecessary with proper cross-bars.

Regards,
Eugene

PS. Mud-guard install is a REAL pain in the a...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

I would say the noise is coming from the fixed crossbar. I will try to remove it andI believe the fixed crossbar is a support between two raised rails since they mounted slant toward to each other.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know which ski racks and roof cargo boxes are compatible with the factory roof rail/cross-bar system?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: jpfpdx

Does anyone know which ski racks and roof cargo boxes are compatible with the factory roof rail/cross-bar system?
jpfpdx, I have the factory roofrail and crossbars on my LR2. It took quite a bit of searching because Yakima and Thule don't even list the LR2. However, I found a Yakima PowderHound 4 pair ski rack that fits on the crossbars. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Raised roof rails + crossbars