LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Raised roof rails + crossbars

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The install went great! Very easy if you're good with tools, and obtuse directions. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll do so...

Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM
3rd Gear

Have Freelander 2 2010 with roof rails, Does anbody know where i can get o/side rear end cap Part No;LR00 6610 some kind person has lifted one of mine,Have tried lots of dealers but will only suppy full kit at around £54.00.

jacqueline

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
3rd Gear

have roof rails wind noise at speed,Beware end caps can be blown off at speed suggest secure with black tape,Dealers on supply replacement full set four corners,
Have lost 1 of mine anybody with o/side rear cover spare would buy,
thank's

Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM
7th Gear

Does anyone have pics of the installed rails?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Drifting

I have the Thule crossbars and love them. Even with the wind fairing there is still some wind noise. Not to mention the hit on MPG is easily 2-3 mpg when on the highway, so I keep them off and only use them in the winter. They look great though.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much does it cost (roughly) if the dealer installs it? And will they install it if I already bought the rack off of eBay? (new)

Old 06-19-2012, 06:11 AM
7th Gear

The dealer by me (Parsippany, NJ) charged less than $200 to install. The manufactor lists the service cost for the dealers but i was able to negogiate a better price. While i bought the roof rail system directly from Land Rover, i did buy OEM side steps from ebay and they had no problems installing those for me at a reasonable negogiated price.

When installing OEM parts i do not mind paying a little more for the labor since there is a service record and OEM parts come with a warranty. If a warranty claim ever needs to be filed it is much easier to have everything (part and labor) covered.

By the way, I love the way the roof rail system looks. I keep the front cross bar off when not in use to reduce wind noise. The cross bar takes less than 30 seconds to install.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Awesome! Thanks for the great info!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Mudding

Okay, I have found the Roof Rails on eBay. Says they are OEM, and new in the package. But do not come with instructions. Is there any where online I can find instructions?

And also, does anyone know the cost of buying from a dealer, and having a dealer put it on?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Self-install of OEM roof rails and Yakima crossbars

Someone asked me in the new tire thread about OEM roof rails and Yakima crossbars I had in a picture there. I thought I'd port the thread here for folks looking for some info:

Those are the OEM raised roof rails I installed myself (instructions call for a specific sized hole-saw, but something close will do just fine, as the holes are not exposed and for access only!). NOT a complicated install at all.

That is a set of Yakima LowRider locking towers and I THINK 48'' Yakima crossbars.
Yakima doesn't sell the LowRider's anymore, but you can always find something used -- ebay has some. Yakima is selling the RailGrabber towers now which may have less road noise, but I don't know much about them. My LowRider towers make a little noise, especially if you have them positioned over your head! They don't interfere with sunroof operation either, other than noise if they're pushed forward.

Yea, those Yakima bars have a load weight of over 200 lbs, while the factory crossbars only hold about 70 lbs. I have a Rola roof basket that I've had over 300 lbs of wood and dirt on and it did just fine (watch sharp turns!). They move from the far front to back, wherever you want them, and hold my canoe just fine. I throw everything up there!
Douglasson, I am interested in putting OEM raised roof rails on mine as well. I have found a couple of new sets on eBay, but none of them seem to come with instructions. Do you have a digital version of the installation instructions for the roof rails? Or do you know where I can find instructions?

I look at the instructions first before I decide if I want to tackle an install-it-yourself project. send a public or private message if you have any individual questions.
Cheers!

OH!! IF YOU GET THESE FROM EBAY, MAKE DAMNED SURE ALL THESE PIECES ARE INCLUDED. I GOT MINE FROM THE DEALERSHIP, SO WHEN A PART WAS MISSING, THEY GOT A REPLACEMENT FOR ME, BUT YOU CAN'T BE GUARANTEED THAT ON EBAY. GOOD LUCK!!! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING HOW THAT TURNS OUT. WE MAY WANT TO MOVE THE ROOF-RAIL POST TO A DIFFERENT THREAD THOUGH.

Attached Thumbnails  Raised roof rails + crossbars-2012-02-03_08-49-49_305rs.jpg  

Quick Reply: Raised roof rails + crossbars