LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100k Lr3 best oil for high miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I change based on when the vehicle tells me. Changing oil too often can result in long-term engine damage from additives in the fresh oil that dont get time to break down between short intervals and thus build up. There is some tech data and write up online about it. But really you would have to own the vehicle for 200k and be changing it every 3k or less. In this day and age, no one should be changing oil any less than 5k miles. Or by any specific date. Those oil change places are the biggest scam when it comes to intervals/dates.

Keep in mind one of the most wasteful institutions on the plant, the US military, actually does oil analysis on vehicles before deciding if they need a change. The result is most Hummers, for example, ran oil for over 12k before a change. This is first hand info I got from a buddy who's job was literally to do oil changes on military gear and send out samples for analysis. So even they did not change oil for the sake of changing it based on frequency, etc. My BMW can go about 10k between changes on Mobile 1. Also your oil volume will dictate frequency. My BMW holds 8 quarts of oil. The Rover, for its engine size, has a high capacity also at 8 quarts because of the deep sump. My Mark VIII only used 6 because of a shallow pan design, so changes were around 4k miles.
I've had like 3 cars where I changed the oil at 3000-3500 miles castrol gtx semi. Took them all to 200k and zero oil burning. Now my other family member changed theirs at 6k to 10k. All of them burned oil before 100k miles. I would rather over change than under change.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Oil analysis - like a WIX kit from amazon, or one from Blackstone labs

Old 03-23-2019, 05:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by douglastic
Oil analysis - like a WIX kit from amazon, or one from Blackstone labs
What does this analysis say? Ie.

Say I send in oil with

only 500 miles on it
one with 3500 miles on it
one with 5000 miles on it
0ne with 15,000 miles on it

I read a review and one guy said his regular oil with cheap filter could go 15,000 miles based on the analysis. he did not say exactly what it said though.

I can tell after an oil change at 5k the engine runs smoother, can feel it in the gas pedal revving it. Can also tell using the dipstick and inspecting it visually and also rubbing between fingers vs new oil.

The following users liked this post:
Keiths5n10 (12-27-2021)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I would have to dig mine out to get specific info for you

But you can google "Wix oil analysis report" to see the various things they report on

Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Just a note that my next oil change is due according to the LR3 service interval indicator. Looks like my changes are around 7,500 miles. Not sure if the system is a set interval or based on some complex calculations like cars I have had before.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I do a 3750 oil change interval because so many of those miles are done off-road. It's cheap insurance and it takes me over a year to pile up that many miles.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Rock Crawling

I will most likely stay with a blend semi synth. But the question is do I use a high miles version of it. Its suppose to save on the cat converter somehow. Not sure how the high miles oil pulls that trick off.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

HI. sorry about necro-bump..Getting ready to change the oil on my new to me lr3 v8; i have syn 5w-30 in my hand, but can use dino oil as well; have it on tap at work; i probably will use the synthetic this time; also are people really going 7.5k miles on lof changes? why would you?
I have no idea if PO was running synthetic or dino so I will try synthetic; I will report if any leaks occure after this LOF.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

We go 7.5k miles cause that is what is recommenced. Only the sheep change every 3k and that is only based on old engine designs with carburetors. There is no real reason to change any sooner with regular during (not towing) and with synthetic you can easily go longer. My old BMW was 10k on synth.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
We go 7.5k miles cause that is what is recommenced. Only the sheep change every 3k and that is only based on old engine designs with carburetors. There is no real reason to change any sooner with regular during (not towing) and with synthetic you can easily go longer. My old BMW was 10k on synth.
BAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Seriously tho recommend perfect conditions not dusty, towing, dirt roads, mountains, etc... Is it a money thing? recommend by manufacturer. Some manufacturers say that transmissions and differentials are lifetime fill....
Doing a LOF is the easiest way to catch and manage other problems earlier. just my .02

Quick Reply: 100k Lr3 best oil for high miles