LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st LR: LR3 or LR4? Compare and Contrast (+ thoughts on specific examples for sale)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Besides the cool to know factor, the only real benefit I see w the 4x4 info screen is that it can be helpful with diagnosis when you have a height sensor issue. I also appreciate being able to easily confirm what height level the vehicle is at.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:19 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Since I've never had one, can you give an example of the additional info it provides over the toggle switch and center dash screen showing what height mode you're in?

Old 11-27-2022, 11:54 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I dove into my first Rover about 4 months ago, and had the same questions you have now. I ended up with a VERY clean 2005 LR3 4.4 (not even a crack in the dash), and I have zero regrets. I was lucky to find mine with 115k miles for only $6k, so that made the decision much easier as well! I agree the interior of the LR4 is more attractive, but, for me at least, a solid drivetrain is the most important thing, and I prefer the more utilitarian controls as well. Mine does not have the 4x4 info/nav screen, nor do I miss it. Eventually, I will probably add a CarPlay system, though I have it working decently for now with a BT receiver and headphone amp running into the aux port. If you do pick up one up with the 4.4, I'd highly recommend replacing the coolant bleeder valve immediately and building it out of brass, as this failure nearly cost me my engine a month after buying it! Additionally, be sure to budget for the GAP IID Tool, as it is as indispensable as a good socket set.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear all !

You snagged one for $6k!?! All I've seen over the last 3 months at that price range are much higher miles with a lot more cosmetic issues - heck I had one guy with a full rear quarter damage that didn't go that low - good for you on that.

In the general population I was tending towards the LR3 just for the engine and the very high amount of LR4s that the seller had no idea what the timing chain tensioners or coolant crossover pipes were, let alone if they'd been fixed. I do have right now, with the situation of meeting a guy who's babied a few 3s and a few 4s that have already had all those things done, a little more "even playing field" but it's making me wishy washy lol. I do love the utiliatarian look of the LR3 interior, and kind of like the idea that it's a little dated like "yeah it's a land rover, but it's old." That LR4 interior just seems really nice though so, we'll see.

What evironment do you drives yours in, mountains, city, desert? And thanks for the coolant bleeder tip - that an easy one to diy or is it a pia?

Old 11-28-2022, 11:40 AM

Coolant bleeder is a 5-minute job really. It's very accessible, just do it when the engine is cold.

Prices have been going up a bit. There have been a few sold on bring-a-trailer which have garnered some semi-crazy prices for some reason. I bought mine a few years ago for 9k, and likely could sell it local for 11-12k. That said it's in better shape now than when I picked it up from a Jeep dealer, even with the added miles.

I know the question was targeted at another, but I drive mine in the city, rural, and mountains. I've done snow a number of times, from a light pavement dusting to a foot+ deep and it's done great. Rural highways are my least favorite, but likely only until I refresh the bushing and control arms. I can tell they're getting worn and the LR3 rolls a bit more in the corners than it used to.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I feel I got extremely lucky finding the one I did (could've been because it was in Nebraska).

The coolant bleeder valve fix is a super easy fix, once you have the parts

Coolant bleeder valve in brass

I'm located in the mountains in Colorado, and will use my Rover mostly as a means to get out in the woods. I imagine pretty similar usage to what you're looking to use it for. Primarily will be used during the summer in the Rocky Mountain backcountry, with a fair amount of highway driving too, and the occasional trip out to Moab when we need a break from the mountains.

I went with 265/65 R18 BFG AT KO2s with a 1.5" lift programmed in via GAP Tool. Eventually, I may go with the SYA spacer kit so I can run 33s without worrying about binding in the wheel well in case of suspension failure. That being said, the current setup has handled everything exceptionally well. I love how well it transitions from the woods to highway driving. Good luck in your decision, I'm very happy I finally took the plunge!

Old 11-28-2022, 01:13 PM

I'm running 265/65 R18 on mine without any programmed or static lift. I believe this size will clear the bumpstops if the suspension fails. That's why I didn't go bigger. After a lot of reading it seems this was the max size to run without having that worry.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by elemental_garage
I'm running 265/65 R18 on mine without any programmed or static lift. I believe this size will clear the bumpstops if the suspension fails. That's why I didn't go bigger. After a lot of reading it seems this was the max size to run without having that worry.
That was my reasoning for that size as well. Can't imagine a worse situation than getting stuck out on a trail, unable to even roll because of a suspension failure. So far I haven't really found a need for anything bigger, but I haven't pushed her too far yet, as she still needs to get armored up (sliders, upgraded skids, at least) before testing the limits too severely.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:39 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Welp - in the last 24hrs one person purchased all three of the top contenders, in cash, sight unseen, to grow their Turo business. Oof.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by KH406
Welp - in the last 24hrs one person purchased all three of the top contenders, in cash, sight unseen, to grow their Turo business. Oof.
Well, that's a big bummer!

But there are definitely more out there. If I didn't enjoy mine so much I'd sell you it

The following users liked this post:
KH406 (11-29-2022)