LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 LR3 needs new VDCM (ABS Module)... Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 05:19 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2005 LR3 needs new VDCM (ABS Module)... Help

Hey Guys... so after 10 months of off and on tinkering with the LR3 living in the garage with a host or error messages, I gave up and sent to
Gary at The Euro Shop in Lake Villa Ill. Gary gave it the once over and says there is something screwed up in the ABS module (VDCM). Since I was getting
the several error messages linked to "Lost Comms with Vehicle Dynamic Control Module (VDCM)"... That makes sense. So I need a new VDCM/ABS Module

Now the bad news. The VDCM/ABS Module is obsolete and no factory/OEM parts are available. As the VDCM/ABS module is VIN linked I was under the impression
you need an new OEM unit (i.e. never linked to another VIN). Lots of used units on Ebay and in yards... but I've been told these are useless.

So here are my questions...

1) Do I need an OEM unit that has never been programmed or is it actually possible to take a used VDCM/ABS module and program to my VIN? Anyone ever take a used unit and reprogram it?
2) What about these ECU repair places like UPFIX.COM that say they can take the LR3 ABS module and repair. Anyone tried a repair on these? Any other service providers besides
UPFIX that offers this service?

I can't be the only person that needed to replace/repair the ABS module on an LR# since the supply of OEM units dried up. There has to be a solution I am not seeing here. Thoughts?

Colby

Old 09-13-2022, 07:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

You should be able to re-code a used unit to your VIN, never done it but its possible with every other ECU in the vehicle.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Well not every other ECU. I thought the CJB was VIN locked and the GAP tool was a no-go with it? And the transfer case module, a swap works but it will always through a VIN mismatch code. At least my neighbors is and I thought I read elsewhere. I would simply contact GAP to be certain it can be swapped.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Hi Loanrangie. Thanks for the response. I've heard both sides of the opinion on different forums and a few local Rover Owners. So I'm not sure who to believe. Some say it can be done and some say no way. I took DakotaTravler's advice and emailed GAP and asked if the IIdTool could do it. I'll see what they say. There has to be a solution. I refuse to admit that if your ABS module goes bad on my LR3 the whole vehicle is scrap. I must be missing something. Perhaps the ABS Module repair route is an option. I'd prefer to reprogram to my VIN first if possible.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Hi DakotaTRavler. Thanks for the response. I took your advice and emailed GAP. This LR3 is way too nice to not find a solution. I'm hoping GAP has some good news for me.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:36 AM
Drifting
Default GAP tool can reflash VIN on ABS ECU

Hi,

I connected with GAP back and forth a few times. Although they believe the issue is most likely in the wiring versus the actual module... they believe they can reflash the VIN onto the ABS Module.

I think my next step will be to buy a used ABS ECU and have it reflashed. Lets see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Colby M

Old 11-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Conclusion on the question if a used ABS module can be used on an LR3!!!... and the answer is... YES....

I'm going to make a new post on the main LR3 thread but I wanted to wrap up this thread for anyone that searches for this same question.

After a year of searching for the cause of over a dozen communication fault codes and a dash full of lights (check Engine, ABS, DSC, Trans failure, ABS, etc...). Terrain options were disabled trans was limited to first gear. I bought the Lr3 at an insurance auction from Arizona with 75,000 miles and it is MINT and Rust free!!!! Leather and interior is perfect. Insurance Auction listed it as Mechanical issue. Paperwork said "Electrical issues with multiple fault codes and dash lights". So I knew I had a Rover with issues.

We tried everything..... replaced Airbags with Coil conversion with Suspension ECU override... new Speed Sensor wires... new brakes... new Alternator... new battery..... cleaned a ton of connections, cleaned and replaced all fuses...... We narrowed the issue to the ABS module (ECU attached to the ABS pump on top of Driver Fender well. Bosch does not make this module any longer and there are no new ones available. I had heard the module was VIN locked and you had to get it repaired or find an "unlocked OEM one". So I sent it to get repaired to UpFix.com. They said they fixed a few loose wires but it made no difference in the messages once put back on the LR3. Same errors that refused to be cleared. So basically a MINT LR3 that cranked and went 5 MPH.

I took a chance and bought a used ABS Module and pump off Ebay for like $75. I disconnected my ABS module from the harness and hooked up the used/EBAY module (I had not swapped the pump and reconnected the brake lines). The used module was just laying on the fender well connected to the harness. Cranked up the LR3 and guess what? NO errors... no issues... after 30 minutes of idle/recrank/idle/recrank... and ABS light came on. But not all the others. My theory was this was due to the brake lines not being hooked up. So I swapped out the Module/pump unit for the used one and bleed the brake lines.

Cranked up... cleared the ABS errors... let it idle for 20 minutes... and have put 25 miles on it in the last 2 days. Inclines.... swapped through the terrain modes... wet pavement and hit the brakes hard.... No errors... no problems... no issues. Runs like a champ.

I was always told the ABS module was VIN locked. But, so far so good. No error codes and no lights. So who knows.... My next step is to put about 100 miles on it this week and see if we are good to go. I can't believe after a year it was the damn ABOS module and a used one would work.

The following 3 users liked this post by Structural1:
cokeeffe (12-05-2022), tracyc (11-07-2022), traen10 (03-30-2024)