LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR LR3 vs 2006 Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 LR LR3 vs 2006 Sequoia

I always thought I wanted a Sequoia - until recently! Now I have been introduced to the LR3 and I am so torn!

I live the Lower Mainland, BC Canada and LR dealerships are few and far between. Toyota dealerships are a dime a dozen and lots of Toyota mechanics around!

Although I LOVE the LR3 I am not so sure I am prepared for the potentially costly repairs that may come with a 4 year old vehicle - not to mention we would be limited for repair shops.

I am looking for any honest feeback about the stats on repairs for LR3 vs. Sequoia - especially if you have owned a Sequoia before. Help?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
MJ2
Overlanding

I've owned a LR3 and a couple of other Toyotas, but not a Sequoya. In my honest opinion, buy the Toyota. More room, better built, fewer problems. You wanted honesty!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Drifting
Talking

Well...we own both?

1998 DI with 83K
2002 Sequoia with 62K

They each have a place on the farm that fits our lifestyle, but she prefers the Toyota, and I love my Disco...each seem to hold up reasonably well given what we put them through...just my 2 pennies!!!

The Toyota is a very nice vehicle though...good luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I always thought I wanted a Sequoia - until recently! Now I have been introduced to the LR3 and I am so torn!

I live the Lower Mainland, BC Canada and LR dealerships are few and far between. Toyota dealerships are a dime a dozen and lots of Toyota mechanics around!

Although I LOVE the LR3 I am not so sure I am prepared for the potentially costly repairs that may come with a 4 year old vehicle - not to mention we would be limited for repair shops.

I am looking for any honest feeback about the stats on repairs for LR3 vs. Sequoia - especially if you have owned a Sequoia before. Help?
If it is a Toyota you want go across the border and import a Land Cruiser. The Sequoia is bigger and softer. The Cruiser is a much more comparable vehicle to the Lr3

Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I looked at both very closely before buying the LR3 and ended up with the LR3. I've owned 2 Toyotas in the past and one other Land Rover. The stats don't tell the whole story on Toyota reliability. They are fantastic generally but I've had several friends who have had frustrating problems with their Toyota trucks in recent years. Mine never let me down but I also had to do things like replace the front main seal (22R engine) every 75K, troubleshoot instrument problems, replace the radiator, etc etc so they weren't trouble-free.

In my case, the decision for the LR3 was based mostly on the luxury & refinement, the desire to have a truck with panache that's different from the rest, and its stock off-road capabilities. Also, my previous D2 was 100% trouble-free.

Nevertheless, in your case I suspect it's wise to consider availability of parts and service where you are. I spent plenty of time in Wyoming, North Dakota and Alaska- many miles from Land Rover dealers and was driving a Toyota at the time. It was nice to know that just about any shop could work on it if something went wrong.

Dave

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
5th Gear
Question

Thanks for all the honest replies! I expected a bunch of Toyota haters!

I am still torn. If money were no object - I'd buy the LR3 (let's face it, the LR3, all else aside, is simply a hotter vehicle!). I would back it in to my work parking spot just so I could look at the front grill all day!

Problem is there are so few Sequoia's for sale in my area. Never considered much about going stateside as not sure of extra cost and with me finacing it, etc. Although my husband did look into US trucks for a while as he LOVES the Land Cruiser. But then he likes "older" trucks that he can still work on himself. Not sure how long he will be able to remain a driveway mechanic now that cars are more sophisticated!

Locally in BC, there are more 2005/06/07 LR3's for sale but small list of repair/maintenance shops. Small numbers of Sequoia's ever come up for sale but loads of choice on shops.

I guess I have to factor - if choice is limited and I pay $3000 more roughly to get a Sequoia of similar age/mileage, would I have spent $3000 more in repairs/reg maintenance (over say next 15 years) on an LR3 vs Sequoia??

Hmmmm...

Geotrash - funny - my husband and I both said we initially liked the LR3 as it reminded us of our first 4x4 - a '96 Isuzu Rodeo - my husband still driving it since I needed more reliability/comfort than him for my commuting. I drove that for 8 years!

My dilemma remains - would still love to hear from anyone with thoughts. I am not in a hurry to make this decision overnight.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really low km 2006 LR3 HSE (37k kms) at the Calgary Land Rover dealer. Asking $31k CAN.

Also look at Land Cruiser.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Mudding

LR3- as it won't accelerate out of control.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default LR3 vs Sequoia

Good comparo. I have owned both (2004 Toyota; 2005 LR3), during three decades of SUV ownership. Re the two in question, I have put about 30K miles on each. Both have been driven in a moderate four season climate, in snow, and during the fall and winter, on some challenging rocky narrow off road , off camber applications.

I have had zero significant problems with either truck. The LR3 (4.4 V8) gets a real 18+ mpg on the road, while the Toyota would see 14 mpg.

The LR3 is unstoppable off road. I have the heavy duty option (locking diff) which you should get if you really plan to go off road. It is reasonable on road; the steering is a lilttle twitchy at 70+mph. The Toyota wandered.

The LR3 multi-mode terrain response is brilliant. It is also quieter and the amenities on mine are very luxe (sound, defrost, heated seats etc.).

I still own the LR3, with no plans to change horses soon.

I know there are other factors in your decision but good luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Hi Bean, I also live in the lower mainland and two years ago i bought my LR3. SO far, i have had no problems with it. I purchased the extend warranty as well just in case something came up. I bought an 2006 LR3 with 27,000 miles. My LR3 was imported from the states by a local car dealership. I paid $37,000 and am very happy with the vehicle. THe oil changes at the dealership are $60 plus tax and you can find bubbles are $20. I have a different vehicle to work but i use my LR3 after and on the weekend. I honestly have not had any problems with it yet. If you are planning on buying the LR3, stay away from the 2005 model year. Now that the LR4 has came out, you can get an 07 at the same price as i got my 06 for. And with the 07, you might still have some factory warranty left over. So for another year you won't have to pay for lights and oil changes. If you come across a good LR3, you shouldn't have nay problems. I bought my LR3 not knowing what i was getting into, the only thing i new it was a land Rover. After a couple of days later when i read articles on the reliabilty issues, i was scared to and thinking that this was a bad idea. But then i stuck with the LR3 and two years and 6 months later, nothing has come up. Good luck on buying, and remeber "Why would you get a car, When you could have a LAND ROVER.

Quick Reply: 2006 LR LR3 vs 2006 Sequoia