LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 LR3 Rear Locking Diff Actuator failing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 01:13 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 Rear Locking Diff Actuator failing?

I had a GKN rear shaft arrive today. Bought from Parts Geek that sold two from GKN... I bought the one that said OEM in the description. was $435 and no idea if different from the other $100 cheaper or if I really have an OEM part.. There are no locking rings on the universal... that's a good sign So plan on replacing this weekend and hope noise will go away. Will also remove, clean and reseal the rear diff locking actuator leak. The LR3 is very slow to engage rear lock. in every Terrain mode, high or low range, getting completely stuck, the rear usually will not lock. Only after multiple reverse then back up hill on the 10th or 12th attempt, the rear diff lock engages....and it makes a difference. After it engages once, it will engage and disengage as needed in all Terrain modes for the time. It does always disengage in reverse.... even went uphill in reverse trying to make rear diff engage. There are no codes. I see some vehicles with locking actuators acting this way are failing and heard may cause damage to the pads in the diff. Should I replace? Rebuild? Leave it, that/s how the LR3 is? I hate the idea of removing, cleaning, some repaint, then put back on a failing unit. I have seen on these threads a failing actuator can tear up a diff showing no codes and heard a failing actuator will throw a code. I can't believe this is the norm for an LR3. There are times for work I need to go off road... sometimes with a customer reviewing land conditions. DO Not Want to Get Stuck.... Plus just want it to work how it should.
FYI Dakota Traveler and others have been a great help...

Anybody weigh in... Dakota Traveler, I am all ears.