LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed, I don't want to be a sucker!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice needed, I don't want to be a sucker!

I live in Reno, NV. I was going to drive to the bay area to buy an LR3. However, I found one for sale at a local dealer. Their website listed it with no price or picture, When I ran the VIN I found a picture of it on their lot with a price of $12995. It also said it's been on their lot for over 30 days.
It has 116k miles, HSE trim, and every option I want including locking rear differential and cold weather package. Since they didn't list a price or pictures on their "official" website I went there this morning before opening, It's parked WAY in the back and is completely sagged on all four ends.
Everything else looks great from what I could see. Compensating for the entire suspension system replacement (I can do all the work myself) Would it be worth trying to get them down to 6-7k? What would do you suggest?
My alternative is driving several hours and getting a higher mileage vehicle without a locker or cold weather package. I'm a little excited by this one since it checks all the boxes I wanted but I don't want to be dumb about it.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Did you drive it? Does the compressor at least fire up and raise the suspension? I think it would be worth it, since you're able to do the work. Arnott struts are reasonably priced, the compressor is pricey but once done should last, and maybe you get lucky and it's just leaking and valve blocks are the answer.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:36 PM
Drifting

I wasn't able to drive it, but I'll go back Monday and find out what is going on with it and see if they're willing to sell it as is. My friend mentioned that they're probably not too eager to pay to have it fixed so if I make an offer maybe they'd accept.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

What year is it? Just a heads-up, the 2009 HSE actually has LESS bells and whistles than the 2008 HSE. Because in 2009 (final year for LR3), they introduced the LUX trim level. Which unfortunately is not listed anywhere on vehicle. Easiest way to see if 09 HSE is LUX - front doors should have 2 speakers next to each other, same as 08 HSE, instead of one speaker.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:44 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where in the Bay Area is the dealership?

Old 12-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Drifting

It's a 2006 HSE, with a rear locker and cold weather package. The dealer is here in Reno, I was going to go to the Bay Area where the selection is pretty good compared to Reno. When I saw this one here in Reno that's when the saga began, it would save me a trip over the pass and enrolling a friend to help drive back.

I spoke with them today, the sales person said he wasn't sure what their plan with it was, he said he assumed it was scheduled for repair but also noted that is had been sitting at the back of the lot for "at least" two weeks. He said he'd give my number to the owner and let him know I'm willing to make a cash offer, as-is.

I'll update this when/if the owner calls me.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any updates?

Old 02-04-2022, 04:40 AM
Drifting

I left my number for the owner of the car lot but he never got in touch with me. I found an LR3 in Denver that I liked and picked that one up.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:48 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new truck!

Old 02-04-2022, 10:26 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, as I'm in Denver and I regularly check the listings, which one did you pick up?

Quick Reply: Advice needed, I don't want to be a sucker!