LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market wheels and offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market wheels and offset

I'm looking for some ah.ssis.tan.ce (best Farva from Super Troopers impersonation).[sm=alcoholic.gif]

I'm looking to switch from the dreaded 19x8" to more reasonable 18x8 or 8.5" wheel with my 06 LR3 HSE, but have one issue:

For an after market wheel how far from offset can you go from OEM (+53mm) ?

I've tried the dealer service dept. and some wheel shops, no help so far. So I turn to the experts here.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: After market wheels and offset

Hmmm, this is one of those questions that has been gone over several times before in earlier treads. But to sumarize, Land Rover seems to have the hardest to find "after market" wheels from any brand I know. I can't tell you how many people buy new wheels and tires only to have them rub somewhere after the tire shop swore they wouldn't.

A few months ago LRL magazine put out a nice article on after market wheel / tire combos for Rovers. You might get some good info from there.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Jantiz, thanks for the reply. I've gotten a lot of good info out of reading through some of your posts.

However, I've been through the posts here and the Tires section and been unable to find an answer (saw a couple of posts saying what wheel an individual put on and worked, so I'll go check out their offsets). Did you get the Redbourne's? I'll check out the article you mentioned.

I've found some interesting wheels but most have a max offset of 35-40 (compared to the OEM of 53), and I'm concerned that moving the wheel inward in the well could result in rubbing, especially with a larger tire.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Winching

Correct. There have been a few guys already that had their 285/60/18's rub into the wiring and cause suspension faults,EVEN with the factory wheels on. So going with less offset will definitely cause rubbing with any large size tire. I didn't buy the Redbournes only because of the primium price on them. I saw a new LR3 custumized by thefolks at Redwood City Land Rover with Redbournes on it and it looked jaw dropping sweet. What I did was buy the set of factory 18's they took of that truck. They gave me a great deal on that price, btw. Too sweet to pass on.

Redbournes are built specifically to factory Land Rover Specs. They eventake the Land Rover wheel center cap and they look awesome on the LR3. That would be my first recomendation and the only one I can make 100% certain that you wont have a rubbing problem.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Three Wheeling

I would def go with the factory LR/RR wheels or the Redbourne's. I run the factory 18 wheels in the winter months/off roading and 22x9's in the summer months. I have had a little rub with the 285/60/18's but only under extreme conditions.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Three Wheeling

I was checking out the Redbourne's and everything I've found indicate that they have a +35 offset and are an inch wider 18x9 vs. 18x8 OEM, and since they're to Land Rover spec. something doesn't jive.

Thoughts?

If I find out, (will try and get a number for Redbourne to call) I'll post the info.

Again thanks for the input so far.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 PM
4wd Low

I am running the 18x9 Redbourne's (they actually have an offset of 32) without any rubbing issuesat all. So far I am very impressed with the quality and finishof the wheels.

If it helps, here is the link to Redbourne's sizing chart - http://www.redbournewheels.com/app_guide/index.php

Old 02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks all.

I found/ordered a set of LR split 5 spoke 18", which I'm going to get powder coated black.[sm=smiley20.gif]
They were an OEM option for the 06.

Now to sell the 19"s [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Winching

Craigs list worked rather well for me. Sold mine fast. The other 66% who never take their toys off road (shame on them)need them. Some people buy them for a second set to change from summer to winter tires which doesn't make sense to me either when there's some great tires out there that will do it all but at any rate, they should sell fast.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 AM
4wd Low

Newbie question here, but what's wrong with the 19's?

Quick Reply: After market wheels and offset