LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air to Coil Spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Converted to coils last Fall and zero complaints.

Have put 8k miles on it since including a cross country drive (RI to Vegas) and have noticed no change in ride quality compared to air. The cross country trip had about 400lbs of stuff in the rear too, no sag.

Only time I notice it is over a big bump, you get a little more bounce. But that's the only difference I've encountered. That includes some dirt, mildly rough trail driving.

For me, since I'm not going to off road it seriously, well worth making the swap when I did. I had a dying compressor and at least 1 leaking bag, so really didn't cost me much extra to do it.

I got the standard AB kit and spliced in the orange box (super painless to do, the instructions and splicing kit is great)

Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha,
Looking for a bit of advice on the conversion from air to springs on an 06 LR3 Base, no lift, nothing heavy duty, just a place convert to coils.
First off what kits are out there in the marketplace other than the AB kit?
Secondly, does an 06 need to be reflashed or is it just pull the fuses?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-31-2020, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by David M Cerame
Aloha,
Looking for a bit of advice on the conversion from air to springs on an 06 LR3 Base, no lift, nothing heavy duty, just a place convert to coils.
First off what kits are out there in the marketplace other than the AB kit?
Secondly, does an 06 need to be reflashed or is it just pull the fuses?

Thanks,
Dave
You can run it without the flash but you'll have the orange suspension light on the dash and lose terrain response.

The flash box removes the error and restores the use of terrain response

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
Converted to coils last Fall and zero complaints.

Have put 8k miles on it since including a cross country drive (RI to Vegas) and have noticed no change in ride quality compared to air. The cross country trip had about 400lbs of stuff in the rear too, no sag.

Only time I notice it is over a big bump, you get a little more bounce. But that's the only difference I've encountered. That includes some dirt, mildly rough trail driving.

For me, since I'm not going to off road it seriously, well worth making the swap when I did. I had a dying compressor and at least 1 leaking bag, so really didn't cost me much extra to do it.

I got the standard AB kit and spliced in the orange box (super painless to do, the instructions and splicing kit is great)
I would think the reverse, air for mostly street use and coils for back country. But really if the total EAS system is stuffed then replace but if its just a matter of the compressor and maybe a valve block or 2 then keep the system working.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 PM
4wd Low

Many thanks for the response. Is it possible to reflash without the orange box?

Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm surprised so many would convert over. The cost is so high compared to just fixing the air suspension isn't it? I suppose if you don't work on your own vehicle at all then perhaps air suspension would be more expensive of a fix perhaps but still comparable in most cases.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-01-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:13 AM
4wd Low

The list is too long as to why converting is better. For starters chasing the gremlins all over the place could be a full time job.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
I'm surprised so many would convert over. The cost is so high compared to just fixing the air suspension isn't it? I suppose if you don't work on your own vehicle at all then perhaps air suspension would be more expensive of a fix perhaps but still comparable in most cases.
Not necessarily. The AB kit is a grand. Between cost and time spent (I wrench my own truck) it can quickly become the cheaper option.

A compressor and 1 bag and you're already at $700 minimum. And that's going with Arnott instead of Hitachi/OEM

compressors run 400-700
Bags are 300 a piece
Valves are 150 a piece

Plus for me there's the piece of mind knowing I won't hear that chime and know I'm spending who knows how long chasing the latest air gremlin.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Maintaining the EAS over time is definitely more expensive than the Coil Conversion. There are benefits to the EAS, so it's a personal choice. For those that don't off-road their LR3 and don't want to maintain the EAS, I understand the decision. I picked up an '06 about a year and a half ago. I replaced both front shocks and hence made the commitment to stick with the EAS, but I was thinking about it!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 PM
4wd Low
Default Rimmer Brothers Kit

So what kits have you all installed to make the swap, Atlantic British, Generic?
Has anyone installed the Rimmer Brothers coil conversion kit?

Aloha

Quick Reply: Air to Coil Spring