LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension fault or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air Suspension fault or not?

Dear Friends,

I bought a new BFG AT 265/65 R18 for my LR3 2005 yesterday. It is rubbing a bit on the front wheels, exactly at the wheelers side. I am thinkin about buying a lift kit for it, but I affraid suspension fault, because I heard the Suspension is working a lot when the rods are set up on the car.

But my main question is: I heard, the air suspension is working a lot when I start the engine. It is working for 15-20 seconds.... I've never heard before, just now with the new tires... why? I think, cause the new tires are bigger than the old, and the computer is think the suspension is on low mode..... or something... Is it right?

Or what is causes the long work of the air suspension?

Sorry for my bad english! I hope you can understand what I mean.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

It's normal for the compressor to run at start up.

Get the IIDTool and not the rods. That way you can be lifted only when you need to (like on a trail) and around town you can cruise around at normal height settings. You really shouldn't be rubbing on those tires unless you're in Access height or on a trail.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Drifting

I know it is normal to work when engine starts, but I mean, with the new bigger(265/65 R18) tires the air compressor is working longer. And I hear the noise of the compressor for half minutes. But if its not problem, I am not afraid.

Is it possible to the computer is know, the tires are different and set the options for them?

Otherwise the tires is rubbing on the wheelers side when I am on trail or I just full roll the steering wheel. At the wheeler's side there is a pipe, or exhaust of the Engine heater, is it right? Its cover plastic is rubbing the tire. And there is a cable on the chassis. These are the two point where the tire is so close when I am driving.

So I think, I need always lift the car. What is your suggestion in this situation? IID Tool or rods?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Ours came with that size tire, no rubbing at normal height on road none

Are you sure you are at normal height not access height?

Pics help, show where you are rubbing and how high the truck sits

Old 11-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Here is some pictures about the rubbing.
I always use the car just normal mode, I never switch the offroad or the access height because is use the car 30% on concrete and 70% on trail. Every day I drive on trail roads, so should I buy a rods? Because I dont want to play always with the IID tool to set the height, just build the rods and use them always on 2,5 inch.

Képfeltöltés.hu - korlátlan ingyen tárhely képeidnek, regisztráció nélkül

Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

very interesting, and these are 265/65/18?

does it only rubb off pavment?

what does it do if you push the lever forward for offroad height? still rub?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default zip tie

I would definitely zip tie that wire away from the rubbing. it has some play where you can lift it slightly it and zip tie it up. Do it before the wire gets damaged.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Drifting

Yes these are the BFG T/A KO 265/65 R18 tires.

No it isn't rub when the car is in Off road height. So I decide to I'll buy a Johnson Rods(I found just this type of rods can you suggest any other rods?)
Could the rods cause any problem to the air suspension if I use them always, every day? I mean the air compressor.

The wire problem is solved! I put it away from where it rubbed. The only problem now, the plastic, you can see in the picture. Every LR3 has that engine block heater like mine?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

ususaly in my experience on diesel engines have block heaters, unless a vehicle is ordered for severe weather areas

seems the scan tool is recommended over the rods

Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Yeah I don't think I have that heat shielding. I do however have a block heater, but it was an add-on. I also would recommend the IIDTool instead of the rods.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension fault or not?