LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air suspension issue

I brought my LR3 to the dealer because the suspension warning indicator light goes on. When that light goes on, the air compressor shuts down. The dealer says simply that I need a new air compressor, that it is not working properly. Maybe someone can help me understand this because it doesn't make sense to me, and this is why. I found out that if I keep the driver side door open when I start the car, the compressor stays going without the suspension warning light going on. I then push the **** that controls the suspension height up and immediately I push it back to normal position. When I do this, the vehicle does not move up or down, but I use it to trick the system. I then shut the driver door and the suspension system fills with air and the car rides normally. Then about anywhere between 5-30 seconds later the suspension warning light comes on again. I just don't understand why the dealer is telling me that I need a new compressor if it actually works. It seems to me that it is some kind of switch or control that is not working. Can anyone make sense of this?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

you probably have an issue with the dessicant in the system starting the break down. YOu might ba able to get by with pulling the compressor and changing the canister. Do a search and you will find many posts on the air compressor issue. It isn't that the compressor is bad, it is likely that your a valve in the system has clogged with the dessicant and is not filling the system as fast as it should. When that happens, the lights flash and the pump shuts down. A new canister will cast around $130. I replace my original pump with one from a 2011 lr4. Same original style hitachi pump. I paid around $140 delivered. It has been a year and it has been working great. You can update the older pump with the new design, I think that it is an ADK, it will require a software update. It will cost around $1200 for the dealer to do the work. You can find them online for about $700, but you will need to install it and then have the software updated. PUlling the pump is fairly straight forward. As I mentioned there are some very good write ups on this forum. Good luck. Phil

Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a compressor refurb kit for a few $ which comes with new seals/o rings and valve. Worth trying if you don't want to replace the compressor at this point. It would probably help to get any fault codes pulled to confirm any "system fills too slowly" type diagnosis...

The following users liked this post:
Jenny Pearson (08-09-2016)