LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All kinds of weird messages and problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:43 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All kinds of weird messages and problems

Well, that didn't take long. I have had my 2008 LR3 for about a month. The dealer fixed a number of issues and now it is in my hands.

Last week just before the big snow here I started getting 4 messages: Transmission fault, Limited gears available, HDC Fault and Parking Brake Fault. After driving a few mies and restarting everything would clear up and the offroad settings **** would function.

Then a day later, in addition to the warning indicators, the shifter would not move out of park. Once I figured out there was a release that could be activated by removing the eyeglasses holder I got it moving and could restart to make the problems go away.

Now it seems no matter how far I drive it and restart the errors won't stop and the truck drives in very limited, albeit random, gears (today it decided to gear very low and I could hardly accelerate).

I replaced the brake light sensor with a new factory one but no luck.

Any thoughts.

PS. I know these issues have been covered here but I didn't find a thread that had my unique combination of faults.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Read up on and then check for signs of water ingress... If water got into footwells or headliner from blocked sunroof drains then this could cause all those things.

The following users liked this post:
waherne (01-27-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
4wd High

I took it to my local guy. Didn't have time to leave it but he said it is in fact the brake light switch, but that alone won't fix it. He needs to reset the computer. I'll let you all know.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Could be a start. Let us know in any case what happens.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:05 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had about every issue you're noting.

1. The water thing is real. I've left my moon roof open about 4 times and soaked my cabin w 4 inches of water. I solved my issue each time w a pink hair dryer.

Look at this video. I'd start here. Remove this, check for water, remove all wire harness, clean, check for corrosion, make sure everything dry. It will seem intimidating but - it's easy and hard to mess up honestly. No two connectors are the same.

http://youtu.be/s7ptwT3M3oQ

If this doesn't work, your control module could be bad. Before you replace it, you may also want to go to my second recommendation;

2. Check your tranny fluid. Your car will do this if you're low ln fluid. This is not easy to do but here is how you can tell....Does the car throw this fault more often when very cold ? If you're in a cold climate, and this consistently Happens; try to warm your car up for 30 minutes before putting into gear; if it doesn't Happen or Happens less, yup, you need tranny fluid or it's a sign of a larger issue. ( don't over analyze.. ).

I've got 192k on mine now. I'm not a mechanic but experience, I do have.

G'luck.

Originally Posted by waherne
Well, that didn't take long. I have had my 2008 LR3 for about a month. The dealer fixed a number of issues and now it is in my hands.

Last week just before the big snow here I started getting 4 messages: Transmission fault, Limited gears available, HDC Fault and Parking Brake Fault. After driving a few mies and restarting everything would clear up and the offroad settings **** would function.

Then a day later, in addition to the warning indicators, the shifter would not move out of park. Once I figured out there was a release that could be activated by removing the eyeglasses holder I got it moving and could restart to make the problems go away.

Now it seems no matter how far I drive it and restart the errors won't stop and the truck drives in very limited, albeit random, gears (today it decided to gear very low and I could hardly accelerate).

I replaced the brake light sensor with a new factory one but no luck.

Any thoughts.

PS. I know these issues have been covered here but I didn't find a thread that had my unique combination of faults.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I should add sometimes as batteries start to go bad a good indicator is they will cause errors on startup in cold weather. Every once in a while on a really cold day (below freezing), I will get an HDC fault and sometimes a terrain response fault.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I get that too on a cold day, particularly if I haven't driven/started the LR3 in more than a week. Here is the rub though: my battery is NEW (like 4 months old).

Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
4wd High

UPDATE:

I took it back to the shop today after having put in a brand new LR brake light switch. They hooked it up to computer and cleared the faults from the brake light switch.

However... it was still showing the same errors.

HDC Fault System Unavailable
Parking Br. Fault
Transmission Fault: Limited Gears Available
Transmission Range Change Not Available

Other symptoms continue:
Need to hit release button to shift out of park
Limited gears (runs at almost 4k RPMs at 50 MPH)
And weird stuff. Parking sensors don't work unless I hit appropriate button on dash. Side rearview mirror repositions itself.

Mechanic says he can't connect to the transmission module. Anyone???

The radio seems to be working great though....

PS> I have checked for water and found none.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 PM
4wd High

PPS. I took it to a great battery shop nearby and had them test it. Perfect.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
4wd High

One last PS as I was just reading some posts and saw "transmission sleeve" and "electronics" in the same paragraph.

I had the car inspected by local LR dealer and they said transmission sleeve was showing a small leak. The used car dealer I bought the LR3 from did the repair.

Could it be that he made an error that is causing my current problems???

Quick Reply: All kinds of weird messages and problems