LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna and pano roof

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Antenna and pano roof

Ok guys this is a two part question.

First is on my 06 LR3 SE w/o navigation has the shark fin style antenna on the roof but I lack the navigation system. So what is this for? Does it have something to do with the BT phone system?

Second I learned the hard way not to take it through a car wash. Now my panoramic roof has spider cracked from the antenna. I have not contacted my insurance yet but wondering if anyone has had this replaced? I called Dealer and its above 2k+ out of pocket! So is there a better option? If others have does glass replacement cover this type of repair?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...I think it's for XM Satellite Radio.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

GPS and XM antenna are housed in there. MY 07 has it also but only has the sat radio with no nav.

Insurance may cover it under glass but likely would have to file a accident claim and pay the deductible. WIthout signs of act of god or accident though they are likely to tell you to pack sand. I have heard stories of them totaling LR3/4 for the pano roof getting broke

Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 AM
Mudding

OK, so I do not have Sat radio. Rather I cant find it at least.

As for the roof, that is a bit troubling that they would total it. I get the filing a claim, but dang!. We have had quite a bit of crazy storms including high winds here lately.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

You don't need to have SAT radio to have the antenna.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

If you are looking fore the sat radio, it is located on a metal bracket behind the right rear trim panel in the cargo area (or behind the middle row seat). I this also where the blue tooth module is located.

The roof wart antenna normally has the satellite radio antenna and if there is a cell phone cradle under the center console lid, then the expect to fond the cell phone antenna in there as well. The GPS antenna is in the top (third) brake light fixture at the top of the tail gate.

Pull the roof trim just inside the tail gate and you will see 1 or 2 wires going to the antenna. There is a gold and maroon connector. The gold one is for the satradiothe maroon one is for the cell phone. If you look close there is a small coax cable with other wires in a bundle going into the right side rubber tube that connects to the tail gate. That will be the GPS antenna cable.

Sorry for responding late, but hope this helps some.

Jeff

Old 08-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Mudding

Thanks, i do have the cell phone dock in the center console but honestly i was just wondering if there was some advantage for it being there or something i could upgrade to since it is there. Like adding navigation or...?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 AM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

Without sat radio and having a roof rack, I just removed the antenna and used the hole to bring a coax for my cell phone booster antenna and wires to power the lights that are mounted on the roof rack.

Basically you just need is a piece of strong dental floss and hot water as the thing is just glued on.

As for sat nav...... I used a Garmin drivesmart 61 as it fits perfectly in the factory position. In fact I removed a factory sat nav, reused the trim ring and it looks like factory.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff

Old 08-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Mudding

Ok, I like the idea of the capability of running the lights through that location and a cell phone booster. I do not have a rack but that should be coming this year so...

So what brand of cell booster is everyone using? I looked up Wilson and holy crap they are proud of those things. Also would it interfere with CB or HAM by chance. I realize its a different wave but just a thought.

As for GPS I use an IPad with a Garmin Glonass receiver so I don't think I could mount that in there.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Actually is an interesting idea as to where to bring out the antenna for a ham radio cable and rack lights

Quick Reply: Antenna and pano roof