LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody added rear diff air locker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anybody added rear diff air locker?

I need a new rear diff. Considering going with the air locker since I have to replace it anyway. Anybody done this or have any experience with it?

Last edited by RipD; 11-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I didn't even realize they offered a air locker for the LR3. I'm guessing Ashcroft offers it and if so its a quality unit. ARB would be a close second.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default A 3 is not Jeeplike.

You might wish to spend some time researching the Land Rover All Wheel drive train system on the various forums. I think you will discover that the all wheel drive system is a bit more sophisticated than most common 4 wheel drive systems.

In other words, it does not necessarily lend itself to an air locker.

That being said, I think ARB is or has developed something that is currently under testing in Australia. The real challenge ARB is having is to develop something that is an improvement over either of the two available stock LR sort of computer operated limited slip systems.

What you may notice is that Jeep type vehicles tend to get out of sticky spots by rapid spinning the wheels; Land Rover more often by sort of chugging/lurching away - it is not very dramatic I might add - the wheel spinning and engine roaring stuff makes better YouTube videos.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I didn't even realize they offered a air locker for the LR3. I'm guessing Ashcroft offers it and if so its a quality unit. ARB would be a close second.
I'm aware of the ARB. Lucky8 sells one but I haven't called yet. I assumed it's the ARB.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

idk man....to me EVERY 4x4 lends itself to an air locker!

Last edited by houm_wa; 11-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bbyer
You might wish to spend some time researching the Land Rover All Wheel drive train system on the various forums. I think you will discover that the all wheel drive system is a bit more sophisticated than most common 4 wheel drive systems.

In other words, it does not necessarily lend itself to an air locker.

That being said, I think ARB is or has developed something that is currently under testing in Australia. The real challenge ARB is having is to develop something that is an improvement over either of the two available stock LR sort of computer operated limited slip systems.

What you may notice is that Jeep type vehicles tend to get out of sticky spots by rapid spinning the wheels; Land Rover more often by sort of chugging/lurching away - it is not very dramatic I might add - the wheel spinning and engine roaring stuff makes better YouTube videos.
Yep. See my other reply - Lucky8 is selling one.

I think I get how the traction system works. It compensates, but is not the same as locking diffs. And btw, I don't need it. I can't imagine being in a situation where I'll absolutely need a locking diff. But if I have to replace it anyway, and the stock ones from LR seem to not hold up, why not consider something else?

Jeeps... Your description of the difference is exactly what I've seen. I wheeled at lot in my old RR Classic. I just crept up most stuff slow and steady. Jeeps came roaring up, dirt flying. Likely more the driver than the truck, but it was consistent. Also far more over-sized tires on jeeps vs. pizza cutters on Rovers.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Pizza Cutters, yes.

Originally Posted by RipD
Also far more over-sized tires on jeeps vs. pizza cutters on Rovers.
Pizza Cutters, that is a good description and exactly what was factory installed on Model A's and T's.

Being two wheel rear drive, they were what I would regard as good mudders - certainly the best off road vehicle of the time considering for the most part, there were no roads.

The theory of the pizza cutter tyre is that it digs down to where there is traction and because it is narrow, there is reduced forward resistance.

The current predilection to wider is better suggests that off road now means that everyone floats about on dry sand.

I note that the early steel Michelins X tyres on vehicles such as the International 4x 4 Travelall's and the like, were pretty much Pizza Cutters - they got you there - and there was no air locker or even limited slip in those days; in fact 4 wheel brakes was something that no longer an option.

International Harvester Travelall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would think land rover having a factory option locker points out that it is helpful. That being said with the amount of factory diff's eating themselves going aftermarket seems smart to me. Also adding the factory locker is a nightmare and the arb should be fairly straightforward. Give Justin a call, if I was going to be spending that kind of money for a open diff I would definitely check out the locker. I wonder if it would require a software update though for the tertian response system.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I wonder if it would require a software update though for the tertian response system.
Yep. That's why I was hoping some of you guys had done this.

Will give them a call.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I drive older dumb land rovers so I'm slow on some of the new tech Justin should know though or be able to find out

Quick Reply: Anybody added rear diff air locker?