LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone replace their steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone replace their steering wheel?

Hey guys

My steering wheel on my LR3 is one of the originals that were known for cracking and sticking and unfortunately the original owner never got it replaced under warranty and I want to replace it with a newer steering wheel.

I hate the feeling of mine and want something more luxurious so I was wondering where I can find one for a good price.

The best I found was this piano black one from the UK (im in Canada) so the conversion and shipping sucks:

Land Rover Discovery 3 Steering Wheel - Napa - Perf - Sport Grip - Black Piano

any other wheels that are luxurious or just overall nicer for a better price?
can I replace a LR4 steering wheel in my LR3 or will it not work?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Call Land Rover North America and tell them about the problem. They may help you out. Phil

Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Call Land Rover North America and tell them about the problem. They may help you out. Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

So I tried calling Land Rover North America and explained the issue with my steering wheel stressing abou the stickyness and how dangerous it is and the woman told me that this was "customer responsibility" and that I should take it to my local Land Rover certified dealer and ask them.

So they wont do anything about it.

***UPDATE***

I contacted an old sales rep I knew from a different dealer that now works for LR and told him my situation and he talked to the service manager and said "theres no way" because the steering wheel is $1400.

LOL

Last edited by kb24; 04-01-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't seen anyone install an LR4 wheel on an LR3. I just looked at LR4 Steering wheels and found the mount for the LR3 switches are molded into the aluminium of the steering wheel. Even the air bag mounts are the same. However, the LR4 wheel doesn't look it will provide a clean look for the LR3 steering wheel buttons. The LR4 wheel leather does not extend as far toward the air bag as the LR3 steering wheel.
Below are the photos I'm looking at from EBay

Land Rover LR4 Limited Edition Piano Black Wood Leather Steering Wheel XXV | eBay

Leather Steering Wheel Land Rover LR3 2005 05 | eBay

Did you email these company you referenced, kb24??? They maybe able to answer if the LR4 wheel works on a LR3.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD
I haven't seen anyone install an LR4 wheel on an LR3. I just looked at LR4 Steering wheels and found the mount for the LR3 switches are molded into the aluminium of the steering wheel. Even the air bag mounts are the same. However, the LR4 wheel doesn't look it will provide a clean look for the LR3 steering wheel buttons. The LR4 wheel leather does not extend as far toward the air bag as the LR3 steering wheel.
Below are the photos I'm looking at from EBay

Land Rover LR4 Limited Edition Piano Black Wood Leather Steering Wheel XXV | eBay

Leather Steering Wheel Land Rover LR3 2005 05 | eBay

Did you email these company you referenced, kb24??? They maybe able to answer if the LR4 wheel works on a LR3.

Hi thank you for your reply.
The only reason I asked if the LR4 steering wheel would work on my LR3 is because im assuming the leather is a lot better on them but I dont want to spend like $900 on one.

I dont mind replacing my wheel with another LR3 wheel i just want that nice soft leather feel.

I looked at the second link you provided and thats a great price but if its coming off a different 2005 model then chances are the leather sucks on it too.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Select Steering Wheels and Wood Dashes - Craft Customs

For the looks of these guys, they do great work. I personally haven't used them. However, going this route with custom work usually costs $$$.

Local leather interior repair shops could probably help as well. Maybe find a cheap LR3 and have it redone.

2005-2007 LR3 Steering Wheel

These guys sells a ton used.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW I was going to replace mine when it wore out with a heated version from a RRS. AFAIK they are interchangeable. Could try one of those.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

idk...I love the feel of the LR3 steering wheel.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

pre 2009 RRS steering wheels are identical to LR3/D3, they just had the option of heaters, which the LR3 has plugs for

Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BritishautoworksSD
Select Steering Wheels and Wood Dashes - Craft Customs

For the looks of these guys, they do great work. I personally haven't used them. However, going this route with custom work usually costs $$$.

Local leather interior repair shops could probably help as well. Maybe find a cheap LR3 and have it redone.

2005-2007 LR3 Steering Wheel

These guys sells a ton used.
Thanks, but for the 2nd link, thats for a used one? I wouldnt want a used one because I want the feel of a new nice soft leather.

Originally Posted by DavC
FWIW I was going to replace mine when it wore out with a heated version from a RRS. AFAIK they are interchangeable. Could try one of those.
sorry but is RRS for Range Rover Sport? If so, do you have to match the same year or is it 05-09 as well?
And do you happen to know how the 08-09 RRS wheels feel? Are they a lot nicer than the LR3's?
I found one on ebay but its used for a great price and description says leather is perfect but I have never felt one before, does it feel good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANGE-ROVER-...9Wuyl8&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted by houm_wa
idk...I love the feel of the LR3 steering wheel.
I wouldnt know, I bought my LR3 used and my steering was in crappy condition.

Originally Posted by DavC
pre 2009 RRS steering wheels are identical to LR3/D3, they just had the option of heaters, which the LR3 has plugs for
So I can replace my steering with a Range Rover Sport one if I found one?
would something like these fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/zebrano-wood...5156#vi-ilComp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Range-R...ZW8aY7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/zebrano-wood...5156#vi-ilComp

Last edited by kb24; 04-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone replace their steering wheel?