LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awaiting "the call" from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Awaiting "the call" from the dealer

This Saturday, my LR3 left me stranded on the Interstate. Without warning, I started getting a vibration that made me think I had a tire going down. I pulled off the highway and all the rubber was good. My brakes on the left side though were hot as hell. I had it flat bedded to the closed dealer and now I sit waiting for the diagnosis.

So, my best guess is a seized caliper or the parking brake stuck itself on. I just replaced all four rotors and all pads a month ago. The truck has been driving flawlessly up to this point.

Hopefully the news isn't too terrible. I will update everyone in case similiar issues ever arise on yours.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Could maybe be a wheel bearing too I suppose.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Mudding

I thought about the bearing also. The overwhelming smell of burning brakes sent me in the stuck caliper direction. I let the car sit for about 10 minutes after the first sign of sypmtoms. I drove down some local road at about 45 mph with no issues. I got back on the Interstate and just above 65mph it started to vibrate again. I pulled over and had it towed.

What would a bad bearing symptom be?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Noise probably. Maybe some sloppy feeling steering, if it's really bad.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting. I experienced this same thing the other day, but it was pouring down rain. I was flying down the freeway and started to get a shuddering/vibration that made me sure I had a flat tire. I pulled over on the side of the road and everything checked out fine. Started it back up and continued on my way with no vibration. I have no idea what the problem was/is, but I chalked it up to something caused by driving through a large puddle at high speed?? Guess we'll see if it rears its head again, but I will definitely be interested to see what the problem with your truck is.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to me while pulling a trailer on highway last year. It was on the rear driver side wheel. The brakes were smoking hot.

After putting the lr3 on a jack and spinning the wheel I noticed that there was a grinding noise from inside the brake drum. That happened to be the parking brake shoe that was stuck. I took the disc brake apart and cleaned up the inside with brake cleaner.

I then did the parking brake shoe and lining adjustment following the shop manual procedure #Parking Brake Shoe and Lining Adjustment (70.40.11)# + #bedding procedure"

Everything has been good since then. I just avoid using the parking brake all the time.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Mudding

I am hoping that the parking brake is the culprit. I have not actually used the brake, not even once, but it seems that it just has a mind of its own. The dealer hadn't even looked at it as of 6 p.m. today. I am stuck in a rental Corolla for gods sake. Rental is due back Thursday so I will be in the 911 if the Rover isn't done. Nothing like having your car at a dealer 100 miles away, especially since it took me over an hour of constant calling to finally speak to someone.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't mind having a 911 as a backup car.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have seen both sticking calipers and jammed park brake shoes, so my guess is one of the two, but I think that has already been established.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
I wouldn't mind having a 911 as a backup car.
It's not bad at times but it is set up for the track. It is really harsh on the street and obnoxiously loud. But, that's all part of the experience! My wife is out of town this week and I promised to pressure wash her office building. Not sure how to squeeze a washer into the car. I miss my Rover and it's only been two days!

Quick Reply: Awaiting "the call" from the dealer