LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Upgrade

It's time for me to replace my battery. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an upgraded battery. When doing maintenance, I like to upgrade while I'm at it.

Thanx!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default CaCa battery construction suggested.

I use Interstate MTP batteries in my 3. I just replaced my Interstate starting battery with another Interstate; my number two Aux battery is also Interstate.

The replaced Interstate starting battery lasted 7 1/2 years so I figured it did not owe me much. Regarding failure mode, the feeling is after that length of time, it just ran out of internal "water". It got hot and I could smell the battery acid boiling out - that was the clue that I needed a new one.

Starting the engine was not an issue as I have the Traxide dual battery system installed.

There are other batteries out there that use the CaCa style of construction such as the Made in USA Deka brand battery which is also excellent. For me however, there is a local Interstate shop in our village, (no Deka dealer), plus Interstate is what Land Rover specs as a replacement battery.

I mention the CaCa construction as that is the battery internal construction that the regulator within the Denso alternator and the Car Computer is expecting to see.

Regarding battery size, a DIN H8 is called for but I use the H7 as being about an inch and a half shorter, it fits into the battery box easier.

The Interstate description is MTP-94R/H7 and item number is AIB00134

Below is a link to some files related to the battery and charging system.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Traxide Dual Battery install in LHDrive