LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bizarre lower thermostat housing leak?! Pic..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bizarre lower thermostat housing leak?! Pic..

I've been around these forums for a while and don't recall seeing anything like this..

Extra PITA since I have the UPPER tstat housing sitting in a box ready to be installed (also leaking..)

Is that line supposed to be there? It looks like it blew open but I know that isn't the case - I pressurize and have lost minimal coolant the past couple months.

Any comments would be appreciated. Noticed while doing sea foam induction before I pull her inside for spark plugs at 105k (see my other thread )

Attached Thumbnails Bizarre lower thermostat housing leak?! Pic..-image.jpeg  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Winching

Meant to post two pics. Hate doing this on my phone.

Attached Thumbnails Bizarre lower thermostat housing leak?! Pic..-image.jpeg  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is the part close to the temp sensor it is supposed to be there but looks like a leak somewhere.I would clean the area and run it for a bit and watch.I hate plastic housings.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at the pic again I bet it is cracked at the flange.You may see it after cleaning.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Nothing bizarre about that leak at lower housing. My LR3 developed the same exact leak at 116 000 miles. lower trim sits on manifold and gets constant heat from it resulting inevitable cracks in that area.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by thorgal
Nothing bizarre about that leak at lower housing. My LR3 developed the same exact leak at 116 000 miles. lower trim sits on manifold and gets constant heat from it resulting inevitable cracks in that area.
I was talking more about the casting of the plastic and that "crease" on the pipe portion. I'm aware of the leaks/failures.

As scope mentioned, I'll clean it off to see what's really going on since apparently the piece is supposed to look like that.

I have other issues though, as mentioned in my last post in my other thread.. reduced engine performance and zero power past 2500rpm. I love my rovers

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had he same issue on my 05. Was filling with coolant in the same area. Pressure tested the system, leak was so small didn't even notice it on the test. Just replaced the whole thermostat housing along with thermostat and now all is good.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 AM
NIM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing i just had one in the shop, i replaced the thermostat assembly and the t piece that has the bleeder in it all good now.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by NIM
Funny thing i just had one in the shop, i replaced the thermostat assembly and the t piece that has the bleeder in it all good now.
Yup already replaced that stupid tee with a brass one..
edit: I'm losing my mind - the box for the thing was pretty big (I didn't look at it when it came in from LR, it's at home) but there's no way it would be that large for just the upper.

Called LR and they pulled the order as LR005631 - complete thermostat housing assy. That just made my day. If the upper was cracking I'd be unlikely to trust the lower, so that makes sense.

Now I need to get the ***** to do it before the summer heat.

Last edited by EstorilM; 02-17-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:43 AM
NIM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah stupid plastic , just crack with the cold here , i wish someone makes it out of aluminium that will last forever.

Quick Reply: Bizarre lower thermostat housing leak?! Pic..