LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid disappearing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Brake fluid disappearing!

So today I get n the rover and back up and notice the brakes are sponge as he**. Pull back up to check the fluid and it is bone dry. I did front pads in July and even used a towel in the resevoir to soak up and extra when compressing the cylinder. I think back and do not remember seeing anything on the towel when i was finished but surely i did not just assume! Did i overlook an empty reservoir?
Its been raining here in NC or the past two days so wet spot on the ground is all over! Nothing under the hood that i can see. Im beating my brain here! Was this just a fault of my mine or...?
Im going to refill and have some one press the brake and see if i can see anything. Once i find it i will be ok, but my main question is:
1. When i find and fix the issue I'm planning in flushing the lines. I think i remember reading/hearing about using the gap tool to assist in this? Is this correct?
2. If in fact this is true, how do i proceed with that?

Old 09-26-2020, 04:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

As you did brakes a couple of months ago and the pedal just became spongy I would suggest you have a leak somewhere. Did you bleed brakes last time , if so a nipple maybe loose.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Mudding

I did not bleed the lines. Just compressed the calipers and replaced. I’m assuming leak as well. Like I said it’s hard right now due to rain to locate wet spot on the ground. However it’s suppose to clear up today.
I did look it usual spots. Under master cylinder, inside of rims where one might see leaking brake fluid coming from but nothing.
today I will inspect closer.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:31 PM
Mudding

FOUND IT! leak is behind master cylinder where it joins with brake booster.
So replacing master cylinder! Would anyone suggest replacing the booster too? I’ve never really heard of a brake booster going bad. Just unsure!

Old 09-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Rock Crawling

If booster has not got any oil in it, then just replace Master cylinder and do a good brake bleed starting at the rear passenger side

Old 09-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Mudding

That is my plan. I have not been able to identify any fluid in the booster. So I’m just going to replace the master cylinder. Finding one has been a pita for sure! But finally got one on the way.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:59 PM
Mudding

Ok, good news and bad news! I got the new master cylinder in and installed today. While the car was up on stands i decided to do the rear brakes to and before i bleed the system. I remove the rear pads and compress the caliper and i notice dripping from under the belly of the beast! Dammit! I found the leak, the actual leak of which i thought was the master cylinder. i crawled under the car and sure as crap its a corroded line!
Aside from selling my car what is the next move? I've never done brake line removal and replacement. I seen on ArmyRover mention some copper nickel line he used! I'm still lost on how to go about fitting this thing up!
If anyone can offer some help it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

@scoutrover13 I did full lines from the front all the way back to replace mine. I basically bought a coil like this

Amazon Amazon

and went to work

Old 10-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Mudding

Yea I guess that’s what I’m going to have to do. Like I said I seen an older post where you had that. So did you cut out the old and route the new along the side of the old? Dies it come out in one piece? Did you remove all the exhaust and heat shields? Im do pissed I can’t see straight.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Here is a picture that someone else has already done. A link to some fittings
https://automec.co.uk/collections/fi...12986154975255

Quick Reply: Brake fluid disappearing!