LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Brake issue

We just got 32" of snow dumped on us here in Virginia and after plowing through the snow (the LR3 is a BEAST in the snow!) and letting my car sit overnight, I experienced something very strange. When I went out in the morning (or even late at night) to drive somewhere, I had almost zero brakes for the first couple of minutes. And when I say that, I'm not exaggerating.

I have a bit of a slant to my driveway and the first time it happened, it took me by surprise. As soon as I put the car in Drive, it started rolling down the hill with my door open despite the fact that my foot was on the brake. I literally had to mash it into the floorboard in order for it to have any effect at all.

My pads are in good condition as are my rotors. Fluid was flushed just over two years ago, so I suppose contamination is possible, but unlikely.

My question is, has anybody else experienced this? My thought is that it may just be moisture/water freezing to ice on the rotors or pads. It would make sense and would explain why it goes away after a few minutes of driving/usage. However, I'm open to other suggestions or possible causes. I'd also like to know if I'm the only who's had this happen because I certainly haven't experienced it in any other car.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

since the rotors retain a little heat I have seen them sit wet in the snow and ice over, but the truck is so heavy it should rip through that no problem. Could be a line pressure or master cylinder issue, leak, Maybe the calibers froze up a bit.

You check the fluid level under the hood? What rotors/pads are you using? Are you running something ceramic like akebono or are you running something like the oem ferodos or textars? I never had issues with stock rotors and textars but you having to mash it to the floor sounds like it may have been too little fluid? Anything ceramic and the initial braking action will need some time to heat up before they brake as good as the bimetallic stuff.

I lived in Fredericksburg the last few years so I can imagine the situation.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
We just got 32" of snow dumped on us here in Virginia and after plowing through the snow (the LR3 is a BEAST in the snow!) and letting my car sit overnight, I experienced something very strange. When I went out in the morning (or even late at night) to drive somewhere, I had almost zero brakes for the first couple of minutes. And when I say that, I'm not exaggerating.

I have a bit of a slant to my driveway and the first time it happened, it took me by surprise. As soon as I put the car in Drive, it started rolling down the hill with my door open despite the fact that my foot was on the brake. I literally had to mash it into the floorboard in order for it to have any effect at all.

My pads are in good condition as are my rotors. Fluid was flushed just over two years ago, so I suppose contamination is possible, but unlikely.

My question is, has anybody else experienced this? My thought is that it may just be moisture/water freezing to ice on the rotors or pads. It would make sense and would explain why it goes away after a few minutes of driving/usage. However, I'm open to other suggestions or possible causes. I'd also like to know if I'm the only who's had this happen because I certainly haven't experienced it in any other car.
Agree the LR3 is incredible in the snow, especially with the right tires. Your theory makes sense but I have not experienced that despite spending a few days in the Yukon Territory nearly two years ago and spending three nights in approx 18 degree (Farenheit) temps last month. In both cases there was enough snow to cause iced rotors but my braking felt normal. I'd follow Dave's advice and check brake fluid levels.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you drive through any slush or water? Sounds like ice build up on the rotor

Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DavC
since the rotors retain a little heat I have seen them sit wet in the snow and ice over, but the truck is so heavy it should rip through that no problem. Could be a line pressure or master cylinder issue, leak, Maybe the calibers froze up a bit.

You check the fluid level under the hood? What rotors/pads are you using? Are you running something ceramic like akebono or are you running something like the oem ferodos or textars? I never had issues with stock rotors and textars but you having to mash it to the floor sounds like it may have been too little fluid? Anything ceramic and the initial braking action will need some time to heat up before they brake as good as the bimetallic stuff.

I lived in Fredericksburg the last few years so I can imagine the situation.
First thing I did was to check the fluid level... thinking I had ruptured a line in the snow or something. Level was fine though.

I'm running the Akebono Ceramics with factory rotors. I can see them needing time to heat up before performing "well", but this was to the point where I almost couldn't hold my car still when it was in gear on the hill.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Volkov
Did you drive through any slush or water? Sounds like ice build up on the rotor
Didn't drive through slush or water per se, but I was driving through 30" deep snow. I certainly had some melt on the car. I almost want to just spray my brakes with water the next time we have very cold temps and see if I can replicate the problem.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when i ran akebono pads they sucked in the extreme cold, had to drive the first couple hundred yards with my foot on the brake to get the warm. just my experience

Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by drowssap
when i ran akebono pads they sucked in the extreme cold, had to drive the first couple hundred yards with my foot on the brake to get the warm. just my experience
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe this is all it is then... ceramics are crappy in the cold. I guess I would prefer that to a problem with the braking system. The only thing is that I never noticed the problem in cold dry (no snow) weather. Guess I'll have to experiment some.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Note to self: Stick with conventional brake pads.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely just ice buildup on the rotors. I use mine as ski truck so in the snow all the time. I have had that after driving for long periods in wet or snow (not after sitting though). If driving through slush/snow/salt I gently hit the brakes every so often to clear the rotors. Some cars even do this for you automatically. My Audi would clean the rotors in wet weather every so often.

Quick Reply: Brake issue