LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes and rotors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and rotors!!!

I just got my front and rear pads replaced. They were down to nothing at 20,000 Km. It was a $500.00 bill. The bad news???? The rotors will need to be replaced (yes, REPLACED) every 2nd brake job. The min and max ***** are soooo tight that they are disposable parts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/642/E480A761C1C94E0A8A35052305C0017E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Brakes and rotors!!!

Rovers have undersized Brakes, The LR3's are larger then in the past and if you are going thru them that fast you need to watching how you brake. There are some other rotors and pads, like Dba slotted and drilled rotors and kevlar pads, that may be coming out soon, if they do you should look into them, I have nearly 45,000 miles on my current set.
You maight also want to look into doing your own brakes, good Kevlar pads are about $65 an axle.
Mike

Old 06-25-2006, 02:49 AM
4wd High

Sounds like you may want to avoid using Hill Descent, and just use a lower gear.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:51 AM
4wd High

Did they give you any idea how much the rotors cost?

Michael

Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

[:@][:@][:@] 9800 miles later ('05), my brakes are still at 50% but the rotors are bent. My nearest dealer is charging me $ 1200.00 to replaced the defective rotors and pads.

Of course, the DEFECT falls under the wear and tear category so you and I have to cough up the dough. I did call LR's customer service to conduct an investigation as to why my rotors are bent at 9800 miles. Immediately I was asked where I was calling from. I knew right away I was doomed from the get go because I am from So. Cal. and I suppose we are terrible with our braking habits. I was advised that LR North America made the decision to install the "Soft"(cheap and wears faster) brake pads for safety reason. Optimum braking distance was apparently achieved by the softer material.

A week later, the investigation resulted not on my favor. I can understand the wear and tear of the brake. But I cannot believe my rotors are bent. Its' a *%@$& damn "LAND ROVER" is it not. I expected a much better performance.

I am writing an appeal to LRNA and to express my dissappointment on the DEFECTIVE rotors. I highly suggest you do the same LR3invancouver.

I have logged 98% of mileage on city driving only. I was so looking forward to someday taking this behemoth offroading........ I don't know.....

Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: socalr3

[:@][:@][:@] 9800 miles later ('05), my brakes are still at 50% but the rotors are bent. My nearest dealer is charging me $ 1200.00 to replaced the defective rotors and pads.

Of course, the DEFECT falls under the wear and tear category so you and I have to cough up the dough. I did call LR's customer service to conduct an investigation as to why my rotors are bent at 9800 miles. Immediately I was asked where I was calling from. I knew right away I was doomed from the get go because I am from So. Cal. and I suppose we are terrible with our braking habits. I was advised that LR North America made the decision to install the "Soft"(cheap and wears faster) brake pads for safety reason. Optimum braking distance was apparently achieved by the softer material.

A week later, the investigation resulted not on my favor. I can understand the wear and tear of the brake. But I cannot believe my rotors are bent. Its' a *%@$& damn "LAND ROVER" is it not. I expected a much better performance.

I am writing an appeal to LRNA and to express my dissappointment on the DEFECTIVE rotors. I highly suggest you do the same LR3invancouver.

I have logged 98% of mileage on city driving only. I was so looking forward to someday taking this behemoth offroading........ I don't know.....

Yes, Rover uses soft rotors in order to stop faster, and they do wear out quicker. You might consider a couple of ways to cut your cost, don't have the dealer do your brakes, do them your self, check with a few aftermarket suppliers and see if there are any good hi performance rotor and pad combination available yet like DBA rotors and Kevlar pads and quit braking like you are driving a race car.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this page:

http://www.eurotekapg.com/brk.html

and then go to http://www.eurotekapg.com/catalog/it...71/3085691.htm

We offer a kit for the LR3 that is both economical, and will give you longer wear than the OEM set-up. But-- it is as DiscoMike stated. You cannot drive these vehicles by picking late breaking points and laying in heavy on the hooks!.

Regards,

Geoman

Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
mpt
4wd Low

I was told by the LR dealer the LR3 brake and rotor life is on average 12,000 to 15,000 miles. (With recommendation to consider replacment at 12,000 miles). I don't think I can install my own for fear of voiding the warranty. How long have your brakes and rotors lasted?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took my '06 in for the 15,000 mile service and mine barely show any use yet. However, I will point out that I have been living here in North Cal since last October (moved from Georgia) and I have seen how californians drive ( I use the term loosely). It is a mad dash to see who can cause the most acccidents on the way to work every morning. I have never seen such complete lack of comon sense on the road in my entire life. No concept of safe following distance, no concept of smooth acceleration or smooth braking, it's either full gas or hard on the brakes. It would be funny to me if I was watching it on a movie but it is down right scary since I now find myself in the middle of it.

By following some common sense- safe driving habits I have not only saved some cash in less break maintenance but I will hopefuly stay alive long enough to leave this "mad dash to make the next dollar" behind me as soon as my job is finished here.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
mpt
4wd Low

Actually, my LR3 was Connecticut driven and most of that was highway. Your posting really makes me wonder if I got ripped off - nope, I did not ask to see the brakes and rotors... only because many in the post seemed to suffer a similar fate to mine - low mileage break wear.... I'm going to look for alternatives next round... thanks for your reply. Interested in anyone else's experience with brakes and rotors on their LR3....

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors!!!