LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying A Used LR3 (From Current LR3 Owner!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying A Used LR3 (From Current LR3 Owner!)

So, when our 2006 SE is running with no problems, we absolutely love the vehicle. Great in the snow, off-road, hauling kids, dogs, etc..very few other vehicles on the market that can match the LRx for utility...But...we have done control arms (twice!), wheel bearings, air valve block, thermostat house, exploding bleed valve, frozen e-brake caliper, sunroof drain leaks and subsequent electrical issues, radio unit failed, air suspension switch, bonnet latch sensor, MAF/Lean issues, etc..etc..and that's only what I can remember off the top of my head while sitting here typing. In essence, all the normal stuff.

That said, we are in the market for a new (used) suv and while my head is telling me to suck it up and buy a Toyota 4Runner, my heart is telling me that the highly depreciated LR's are the direction to go. Heck, even the LR4's are starting to come down to very affordable; but, I'm terrified of the timing chain issue and I've found it to be very difficult (time consuming) to try to find one at the right price that's already had the repair. So, thinking another LR3 might not be a horrible thought, especially since I'm pretty familiar with what to expect.

First question to the forum..Am I a lunatic for wanting to buy a 10-11 year old LR3 knowing the maintenance involved? If not, my thinking is it's critically important to find a vehicle with full service records and/or a current dealer inspection? These things could be up to date mechanically or easily have $10K in deferred maintenance; which makes me wonder why it's not common practice for sellers to have an inspection pre-done and ready to present to prospective buyers. With the sophistication and costs associated with newer vehicles, I kind of think the practice of "bringing your own mechanic" to someone's driveway is obsolete. Only a specialty shop with experience and diagnostic tools can really do a proper mechanical inspection these days. Am I wrong here?

I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions on organizing one's thoughts when approaching a used LR purchase? I've seen many similar posts over the years from LR newbies; but, in this case I'm intimately familiar with the vehicle and still a little scattered.

What do you think???

Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Have a mechanic check it out before buying (really that goes for any used car).

but as long as there's no leaks, a good maintenance history and especially if there's a new compressor I wouldn't hesitate to buy another LR3. For me I look a lot at the cosmetic condition. If the paint and interior are kept in good shape, its a good bet the mechanics were as well.

Any used car is going to eventually have issues. Toyota, Jeep, etc aren't that much more reliable, they're just cheaper to throw parts at.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
Have a mechanic check it out before buying (really that goes for any used car).

but as long as there's no leaks, a good maintenance history and especially if there's a new compressor I wouldn't hesitate to buy another LR3. For me I look a lot at the cosmetic condition. If the paint and interior are kept in good shape, its a good bet the mechanics were as well.

Any used car is going to eventually have issues. Toyota, Jeep, etc aren't that much more reliable, they're just cheaper to throw parts at.
After posting this thread spent some time reading through other similar posts and it seems there are consistent themes with the LR3. Most like/love the vehicle, as we do; but, it's simply going to be expensive and time consuming to maintain over time and each owner needs to assess their financial position and tolerance for said maintenance. As for me, if I had the garage space to do it, I'd love to use the cost of repairing the LR3 to justify buying a lift, new tools, and even training on how to work on the vehicle.

I just came across a 2008 HSE with just under 100K miles for $10K. The seller, who does no work himself, has full service records and has spent $11K on the vehicle over the last 2.5 years (radiator, wheel bearing, control arms, thermostat housing, MAP sensor, new battery, instrument cluster, air compressor, battery, back-up sensors, tie rods). I'm still on the fence about a new LR3; but, on one hand feel good about the maintenance records on this one and the fact much work has just been done; but, the list is another reminder of what one might expect from this vehicle going forward and the long list of repairs is just a reminder of what may come.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I bought a 07 than 6 months later I bought an 06. They are fantastic if you don't mind a bit of wrenching as you know.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CB7010
After posting this thread spent some time reading through other similar posts and it seems there are consistent themes with the LR3. Most like/love the vehicle, as we do; but, it's simply going to be expensive and time consuming to maintain over time and each owner needs to assess their financial position and tolerance for said maintenance. As for me, if I had the garage space to do it, I'd love to use the cost of repairing the LR3 to justify buying a lift, new tools, and even training on how to work on the vehicle.

I just came across a 2008 HSE with just under 100K miles for $10K. The seller, who does no work himself, has full service records and has spent $11K on the vehicle over the last 2.5 years (radiator, wheel bearing, control arms, thermostat housing, MAP sensor, new battery, instrument cluster, air compressor, battery, back-up sensors, tie rods). I'm still on the fence about a new LR3; but, on one hand feel good about the maintenance records on this one and the fact much work has just been done; but, the list is another reminder of what one might expect from this vehicle going forward and the long list of repairs is just a reminder of what may come.
$11k for that list of work sounds like some serious dealer "inflation"

altogether that's only ~$2,500 in parts, and none of those repairs are that time consuming (control arms being the worst on the list). So ~$8,500 in labor for that is a pretty brutal rip off, like over $500/hr labor cost bad.

Also, like ArmyRover said, doing the easier stuff on your own in the driveway saves a lot. Really the LR3 is pretty easy to work on as a weekend warrior. On the above list, the only ones I'd say are mechanic worthy are tie rods, control arms, wheel bearing, maybe radiator if you cant call a buddy to help.

Really any used car is a potential time bomb. Just google "Toyota frame rust" for example.

The following users liked this post:
Loudogp250 (05-29-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Wait...are you talking about buying an LR3 and KEEPING the 2006? ....or trading/selling the 2006 and simply buying a newer LR3?

Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's a primary driver - I'd say no. I really like the trucks but at this stage of life for them they are going to break and as long as it can be down for a bit then go for it. But if it primary transport - I'd say nope.

Now, the question I have for you: You mentioned MAF/lean issues...I want to know what you did to fix the lean problems you encountered!

Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Overlanding

Keeping the 211K mile 2006 until it dies and the new/used one would ultimately be its replacement and second vehicle for now. So, for a period of time I'd have both. Two maintenance headaches or knowledge and part efficiency??? Hmmm

Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Overlanding

The owner of the vehicle I'm looking at had "rich" codes popping up, did a MAF Sensor replace and claims that fixed the problem (Codes P0172 & P0175 I think). With mine, I was getting lean readings P0171&74. It happened last three winters in a row (I know they change the fuel formulation here for winter, which I suspect could have impact) and in all cases I cleaned the MAF Sensor with CRC spray, checked all hoses (never found a leak), fuel/injector treatment additive, and magically the CEL went off after a couple tanks or few weeks. It's not yet returned this winter..knock on wood! Not sure what, if anything, I did "fixed" it; but, with this vehicle I'll take whatever luck I can get. I did notice that during the time the CEL light was on and the vehicle was generating "lean" codes my MPG went down a good 10%. As soon as the light went off, back to normal.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Oh if it's a 2nd LR3 then I say DO IT!

I want another one, too....

Quick Reply: Buying A Used LR3 (From Current LR3 Owner!)