LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell by a picture if suspension height is off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Test in Rock Crawl

The 4x4 info screen may show all four wheels to be dead in normal mode since the switch lights do not work etc; hence also try in Rock Crawl mode, raising each wheel one at a time. Since the system seems to work in Rock Crawl, then I presume that there is power to all the circuits and hence something should show on the display.

If you are doing any bit of driving about, just leave the display in 4x4 info mode as something odd might display even if wheel movement all seems dead; probably you will at least see the steering wheel movement at - the direction that the two front wheels are pointing as the steering sensor is probably working OK. The steering wheel rotation sensor has been known to fail as well - so many systems all tied together.

If there is any "blame" to be cast, the existence of the HDC or Hill Decent Control ties the various systems together more so than on other vehicles that do not have HDC - like none other than maybe some high end Jeeps as of model year 2012. This is why a failing brake switch or tail light bulb problems can put you down but most often one gets false trouble messages referring to transmission failure or cruise control not operative.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
The 4x4 info screen may show all four wheels to be dead in normal mode since the switch lights do not work etc; hence also try in Rock Crawl mode, raising each wheel one at a time. Since the system seems to work in Rock Crawl, then I presume that there is power to all the circuits and hence something should show on the display.

If you are doing any bit of driving about, just leave the display in 4x4 info mode as something odd might display even if wheel movement all seems dead; probably you will at least see the steering wheel movement at - the direction that the two front wheels are pointing as the steering sensor is probably working OK. The steering wheel rotation sensor has been known to fail as well - so many systems all tied together.

If there is any "blame" to be cast, the existence of the HDC or Hill Decent Control ties the various systems together more so than on other vehicles that do not have HDC - like none other than maybe some high end Jeeps as of model year 2012. This is why a failing brake switch or tail light bulb problems can put you down but most often one gets false trouble messages referring to transmission failure or cruise control not operative.
My brake light indication did trigger the other day and "check brake pads" text is appearing on the information screen. This however was not on when I took delivery but the height control was still malfunctioning. I do think the brakes are in need of replacement and can't quite understand how this would be a link to the air suspension.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Land Rover apparently can't either.

Originally Posted by NorthBoundLR3
My brake light indication did trigger the other day and "check brake pads" text is appearing on the information screen. This however was not on when I took delivery but the height control was still malfunctioning. I do think the brakes are in need of replacement and can't quite understand how this would be a link to the air suspension.
Worn brake pads and or rotors or the brake wear sensor fortunately do not trigger air suspension problems but the brake light switch will - actually it is the second set of contacts within the brake light switch that causes the problem as they tie to the ABS system. My belief is that LR still has not figured this out yet as it just should not be or is not a concern when all is working properly.

It occurs to me that you should find out for certain if you really do need new brake pads and or rotors. Given that the tyres are new and your 3 looks to be in good shape, it may be that the brakes are still OK and that the message is just another clue to the problem. Also there should probably be an amber brake warning light illuminated near the fuel/temp gauge indicator and eventually some sort of beeping sound at startup as well.

For the most part, all these indicator lights are just there to obscure the problem. The 3 reminds me of a baby - lots of crying and whimpering and a very limited vocabulary; hence it is up to the parents to determine what the noises mean and if any are serious.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3 reminds me of a baby - lots of crying and whimpering and a very limited vocabulary; hence it is up to the parents to determine what the noises mean and if any are serious.
A 6000lb baby tends to get your attention ;-)

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Default It certainly grabs your wallet.

Originally Posted by stmcknig
A 6000lb baby tends to get your attention ;-)
That tends to be how I regard all the warning lights and messages - the more you get at one time, the less concerned I am as it just means the computers are not programmed for what is really wrong, if anything.

There is no message that says "broken wire" or "loose connection" - now that would be useful.

As with a baby, when all seems quiet, that is when I am on guard.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Drifting

That tends to be how I regard all the warning lights and messages - the more you get at one time, the less concerned I am as it just means the computers are not programmed for what is really wrong, if anything.

There is no message that says "broken wire" or "loose connection" - now that would be useful.

As with a baby, when all seems quiet, that is when I am on guard.
Making this vehicle sound really attractive Hah

Anyhow- I did engage rock crawl mode today and when viewing the 4x4 screen was finally able to see activity. I literally had not seen anything happen on that screen prior to this afternoon. Image diagram showed wheels moving left and right when turning, and up and down when climbing.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Air suspension wiring seems OK then.

Since you see up down movement on all four wheels, and you can raise and lower the vehicle when in Rock Crawl, then I think your air system is OK. It is still possible to have a problem with one of the wheel height sensors and that can show as intermittent or jerky movement of a wheel, but you need the display to be working in normal mode to pick that up - it can be subtle - all wheels show normal very small movements and then one sort of does not and then it does again.

Alternatively, the problem is related to a high speed system and that the frozen air suspension is related to some safety thing - ie Land Rover is trying to protect you by not allowing the vehicle to raise or lower.

I still think you should put a brake light switch in and replace all tail lights as I am running out of ideas that would lead to an easy fixes. Your 2008 is now 4 years old so a deteriorating switch is not unknown by that time. By the same token, you are not getting the nasty "Replace the tranny" messages or "Cruise Control Not Available" which is common with a deteriorating brake light switch. Even if you are not getting them now, you will so now is the time - it is not a waste of money or effort.

As to tail lights, non spec off shore non LR are most likely in there so same story. Four Genuine bulbs are cheap and you should have some spares.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Brake Light Switch Replacement

As I said before, I wish it was the switch, but I just think it is not as in rock crawl, the switch instructions are understood.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Thought I'd post up that all air suspension fuses, both inside behind glove box and under the hood, are all still in tact. I did however notice that the fog lights, which I knew were inoperable, did have a blown fuse. I replaced the 15a fuse, fired it up to check the fogs and nothing... Checked the fuse again, burnt out. So now further troubleshooting is required. Thinking I'll pull the lights and check the wiring.

I have not checked the brake lights beyond a visual "are they working" test (they are). I'll order up all bulbs and replace.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Fog light short in the first foot most likely.

LR had a problem with the wiring harness in early 3's chaffing thru and hence a short to ground, usually in the first foot or so of the harness at the fog light end. Basically the harness rubs against something sharp and eventually cuts thru. More cable support clips were added to later models.

To find the break, remove each fog light from the bumper holes, (three Torx screws each and try not to drop them), then try to follow the wiring harness with your hand and with luck you will feel a break in the harness.

Also if you remove the headlight assemblies above I think you can kind of get at the fog light wiring re repair. The break will only be on one side but you best wrap up both sides.

Re the brake light bulbs, before you remove the old bulbs, see if all the filaments are standing vertically up and down. They should be when the new bulbs are installed - kind of a quality control thing. The filaments are stronger when vertical.

If the filaments were laying at an angle, then when the "upper" filament did burn out, then it would tend to drop across the "lower" filament and that is how error codes are generated.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Update for those who were following the ordeal.

In the end, the entire air suspension toggle switch and terrain control **** module were replaced. Dealer paid for cost and expenses. All the ***** are fresh and clean and the system works flawlessly.

Also, there was a break in the wiring of the fog lights causing the fuse to blow. All fixed.

Quick Reply: Can you tell by a picture if suspension height is off?