LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed fuel pump (in tank)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Changed fuel pump (in tank)

So, my LR3 with just under 150,000 miles in the chassis had been showing signs of a failing low pressure fuel pump.
it stumbled a couple of times on the freeway, died once on a side street and took several tries to get running. It stalled in an intersection at rush hour. Anyway felt like it was running out of gas and so I limped to the nearest gas station to put five gallons in it. It immediately ran better and was fine for the next several days and 30 miles.
eBay purchase of a complete fuel pump and cover with 66,000 miles for $80 seemed like a better deal than OEM new or a cheap nonOEM. As a note, I had tested the pressure at the Schrader valve a couple of weeks ago. It did eventually get to the desired pressure, but took too long for me to feel confident that it was working well.

Since this was the second time I had dropped the tank, it only took about ten minutes. There was about 14 gallons in the tank, so it was heavy! The pump is submerged in gasoline and I had no interest in putting my arm in gasoline, especially since visualizing the bracket and other parts would be difficult through a small hole. With my fluid pump was frozen, I wasn’t able to pump the gas out. I needed to lift the tank up for gravity siphon into my gas cans. Wrestled it up onto two 5 gallon buckets. Anyway, fast forward a bit and the tank is nearly empty.

Quick steps:
Removing the tank: it has 4 quick disconnects, 2 in front (the more difficult to reach line will spray fuel so use a rag and caution) and 2 in the rear. 6 13mm bolts and a hose clamp for a flat blade screwdriver on the fill tube. Two disconnects in the front are easier to disconnect if you drop the tank about 4 or 5 inches. The rear one that goes to Evap canister is accessed through the spare tire space.

7mm socket to remove the band clamp around the pump cover. Remove quick disconnects on the top. The smaller fuel outlet is easy to break. I found that a very small flat screw driver inserted into the disconnect where the plastic tube inserts would gently pry the retainers and release the tube. Take your time and really look at it with a bright flashlight! You really don’t want to break these tiny tabs!
once the cover is off, there are three wire connectors, note the order and remove. Remove the 2 quick disconnects from the bottom of the cover. The larger one was a bit of a pain.

Removing the pump is pretty straight forward. There is a green band that needs to be pulled towards the outside of the tank to release. The real issue is don’t try to remove the pump without releasing the fuel level sensor. The plastic clip that hold the float to the sensor will break. I was able to drill an hole below the break and use a twist of safety wire to retain the float. To remove the fuel sensor which will be on the interior side of the tank, pull or wedge the bottom of the sensor away from the white plastic pump housing and slide it down about an inch. Reinstall it once the replacement pump is installed and fastened with the green strap.. Keep the float attached to the sending unit.

Hope this helps someone in the future! It took me 3 hours start to finish including a run to the auto parts store for fuel hose for siphoning. Be gentle and work on it in a well ventilated area. You’ll probably smell like gasoline for awhile!

Last edited by Geo; 09-24-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the write up. What pump did you install? I was looking for alternative options (other than the Land Rover $$ pump) for the pump and remember it being the same as a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee maybe? Anyone out there find an alternate pump for their LR3?

Old 09-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I purchased a used Land Rover pump that was complete with cover and associated lines. Worked out as I broke my quick disconnect clip to the fuel supply line that comes out of the cover. I was very careful with the newer one.
I searched for the lowest mileage pump I could find at the time on eBay by reading the description (66,000 miles). I only hope they told the truth. If it last 80,000 miles more like my original, it likely will never need replaced and honestly, it’s not that difficult. I didn’t want to do it 6 months later with a knock off brand.

This could have saved me money earlier when I needed the cover gasket as the one that came with it is serviceable.

If anyone wants the spare cover and gasket, shoot me a message. I did use the quick disconnect clip though, so you’ll want to be careful with yours!

fuel pump is a WALBRO F80000123

Last edited by Geo; 09-26-2018 at 09:09 PM.