LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out Headlights on LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:52 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Changing out Headlights on LR3

Hey all, I recently bought an '05 LR3 SE and wonder if I am able to take out the normal headlights to put in Xenon headlights. Is this possible? Do I buy the lights through the dealer or is there a cheaper way of doing it? I've seen "Xenon" bulbs for sale around on ebay do they look good?? Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-22-2007 | 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Changing out Headlights on LR3

I dunno if anyone has done it, so the following is just general thoughs based on my pre-landrover experience. I'd go thru the dealer first to see the higher end of $$ involved, and also to get an info on whether LR3's xenons are "one piece" (like in Audis where ballast is attached to the headlight housing so it's plug-n-play), or a split system and a great deal of rewiring is involved (because ofhigh-beams/flashing functions). Also, xenons have self-leveling system, so if youtake an aftermarket route, most likely you'll be blinding quite a few drivers on a daily... well, nightly basis. Keep in mind LR3 headlights are positioned much higher than in non-SUVs. Also, IIRC,halogens in LRs are quite different, i.e. doen't have lenses a-la xenons,so the aftermarketroute involves buying xenon projectors with high-low switch, otherwise you loose high beams.

Avoid "xenons" which are basicaly typical halogens with shorter life. They may seems brighter only because they are newer (regular bulbs loseoutput overtime) and sometimes have higher wattage. They say Sylverstars (spell?) make good halogens, but I never tried those.

Old 03-22-2007 | 12:21 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Okay, thanks for the post. I will check..if it is more than just plug-n-play then I probably won't mess around with it. I have heard those Silverstar's are pretty good Halogen bulbs, maybe I'll check them out. Thanks again.

Old 05-06-2007 | 07:48 AM
1st Gear

no i bought some hid lights for my lr3 from ebay(orginal land rover part) but they dont turn on. my buddy is a mechanic at LR in Miramar down here in SD and he told me they wont work unless i Change my ECU and wiring harness. they plug in but the halogen harness doesnt have some pins and the ecu is not able to send the right signals to turn them on. He told me i would have to change the Ecu and wiring harness in order for the HID lights to work. If anybody knows a way to get around this please let me know. The headlights are the geniune Land rover ones. I just like the look of the HID headlight assembly. Replacing the ECU alone would cost about 4 grand so thats out of the question. Anyone that can figure a way around this please let me know.