LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Clunk when coming to a stop

I've been getting a bit of a clunk or knock when coming to a stop. You can feel it in the car too, like it's in the drive line. I'm not sure if the transfer case fluid has been changed yet, but both diffs were done at 75k. Could it be the transfer case or is it more likely the transmission?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

My bet is on your transmission. Have you changed your tranny oil or filter yet? How many miles do you have on your LR3?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

x2 more likely transmission

if you're DIY minded get the metal pan with removeable filter. Otherwise pay the $$$ for dealer new pan/filter/fluid. Either way then reset the adaptive values. It will drive worse for a while then get really good as it relearns shift patterns.

Transfer case you should probably change fluids too, it should have been done with the diffs.

How are your front lower control arm bushings? If those are bad I have had a few that made a clunk when you applied the brake abruptly at a stop. If they're good or recently replaced you can rule those out.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Winching

Just changed the transmission fluid and to the metal pan, seeing if it would help the issue. Guess not, but I didn't reset adaptations afraid it might cause other issues. I suppose I'll try that next, and then move on to the transfer case fluid.

Lower control arms were new about 20k miles ago and still look good.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pcm programming

Does anyone know how to program a new pcm?

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I would say it's your control arm bushings... they can clunk when coming to a stop when worn.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If I recall, it the lowers that are typically the problem but a check on the others would be prudent.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Winching

Hmm, maybe a clunk wasn't the right way to describe it. Control arms are good. It's a soft knock accompanied by a jerk, like something is binding up or slack is being taken up somewhere in the drive line. Reminds me of my old Grand Cherokee where when lifting off the gas you would get a bit of a knock as slack in the drive line was taken up. Most often happens approaching a stop sign on an incline. Let off the gas as I prepare to brake and I'll sometimes get the noise and feeling (like a kick).

Haven't had a chance to reset the adaptations, but will do so next week and report back if it improves or goes away. Need country roads with no traffic to do the proper re-learning procedure.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 PM
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you don't have a transmission cooler leak. That is the classic 6 speed symptom of coolant contamination.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there, new to the LR3 game. And what you are describing is EXACTLY what i have too. 112k miles. My mechanic says the front diff carrier is done and i need a new one. Pinion seals leaking too. That is a side note- I notice the CLUNK when im almost to the stop- and the transmission makes its final downshift to 1st gear- and then the CLUNK as the slack feels like it gets taken up in the front diff -
All cars downshift when slowing (obvously so the car doesnt die), some harder than others- but due to the slack in my drivetrain im feeling like it's right there.
As far as the transmission service- what should i do for that? someone on here said they paid over $1000 for the damn filter and service. WTF? am i missing something here ! HA!

Quick Reply: Clunk when coming to a stop