LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking from front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from front suspension

Hi there,
Few months ago i purchased my lr3, before I did, i put the car through inspection at land rover dealer they discovered that it needs front control arms replaced and front brakes and rotors replaced. The dealer performed that but shortly after I started to feel clunking when driving slow speed and turning on un even surface. I can feel it through the steering but can't hear it. It doesn't happen on faster speed or going slow like going over a speed bump.

Did this happen to anyone and what should be looking at upper control arm? Or something else?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds like the Anti Roll Bar also called Stabilizer bar bushings. It can be done at home. The current ones being used are the same as the LR4 and are slightly improved version.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 PM
7th Gear

I though about that and asked to the service guy but he said those bushings would cause squeaking. Did you have experiance with those as clunking as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

When mine were bad, it made the sound you describe when going over speed bumps, small bumps such as the garage threshold, and so on. That is because it creates an opportunity for metal on metal when the rubber bushings are worn out.

The original parts were improved with a small piece of patch rubber, and subsequently a new "improved" version was released with more rubber so they should last better.

If you are handy, it can be done at home.

How to link is here: DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Front ARB Bush replacement with pictures LR015339

Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 PM
7th Gear

Ok thank you. I will try this.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you replace the sway bar and drop link bushings and you still hear the clunking noise the noise is coming from your lower control arm bushings. This is not because the vehicle is crap but the rubber bushings are just worn out. Had to replace mine at a little over 100k. But when you go to replace the control arm bushings just do yourself a favor and purchase the entire control arm with the bushings already installed. If you want to reuse the old control arm andsave about $50 the old bushings will have to be pressed out and the new ones have to be pressed back in which means you have to take the control arms off, take them and the new bushigns to a press shop, put the control arms back on with the new bushigns in them, and limp your way to an alignment shop because the LR3 will sense that you are out of alignment and drop the suspension to access height and go into "limp home mode".

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM
7th Gear

I wanted to update, so far i have replaced, complete lower control arms, inner tie rods were shot so replacec them while i was doing that i replaced the tie rod ends, actually i got a kit from the dealer which had everything.
While the ride feels much better and tighter i still get a knock when i am pulling into driveway.
So i took the heat shield from driver side and shaked the steering lower column and there was the knock i hear when driving.
I googled and found out there is a tsb and my vin falls in there TSB: LTB00097 whick call for replacing the steering column.
Not sure if LR will cover this or something i can do but i need to look into this now.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
5th Gear

Did this clunking happen only on acceleration by any chance? I have something similar going on now, though I can also hear it. It's usually when going from stop to start and at slow speeds and uneven pavement. If I stop accelerating, the clunking goes away. Took it to the dealership several times, we can not get it to duplicate the issue there. Happens daily but it's really hard to do on demand. Just wondering if this could be the same thing. I too had control arms replaced recently for a different clunking. This is a new clunking that seems to be after the control arms were swapped but dealership says the control arms look good and it's not them.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to get a peak at the sway bar bushings. There is a TSB for upgraded bushings for front and rear. They are really easy to replace; all you have to do is relieve the weight of the LR on the wheels by placing it on jack stands both left and right (front adn rear). If the clunking noise is still there, there is another TSB out there that the noise you hear is actually the transmission which, suprisingly, is normal, but due to the programming of the transmission computer. You may be able to ask the dealer about this. If all else fail then the final answer is to off road it until the truck dies!

Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM
4wd High

darren24, did you ever narrow down the source of your clunk? i am seeing the same symptoms. I too get the clunk, clunk, usually when accelerating in a slight turn from a stop, goes away if lift the accelerator, and when from a stop going up the slightest incline in a turn seems to cause it on demand. not many inclines here in Miami though. I've done the full lock turn cv joint test, seems fine. The sway bar bushes seem OK and not in a condition to cause such a clunk, I've got new lower control arms, I think the symptoms were there before the change, I think that the pronounced symptoms of bad lowers masked this other problem.

Quick Reply: Clunking from front suspension