LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor and Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbyer
I note the comment about rears not existing so I looked on the Advance Auto Parts site and I see that to my surprise, Advance also calls up a rear air spring assembly as well, Arnott part number AS-2533.
I sent Arnott an e-mail.

Originally Posted by jafir
I noticed you have front air springs for the LR3. Do you have any plans to produce the rears?
Originally Posted by Arnott
Thank you for your interest in our parts. We should have something available for the rear towards the end of this year.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Sounds like maybe ten months from now?

The end of 2014 kind of makes sense.

I suppose Arnott is gong to see how the front assemblies work out and the demand for same and proceed on that basis - the approach probably makes commercial sense.

Thanks for looking into it as the Advance website part numbers just seemed odd.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Arnotts are installed and so far I cant tell much of a difference. When comparing the factory struts to these, The Arnotts seem much better designed and built. I can tell they are a little firmer, but most people wont even notice. So first 24 hours in! Ill post a month review as it comes up and I've used them off road.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taylorm334
The Arnotts are installed and so far I cant tell much of a difference. When comparing the factory struts to these, The Arnotts seem much better designed and built. I can tell they are a little firmer, but most people wont even notice. So first 24 hours in! Ill post a month review as it comes up and I've used them off road.
That's good to know. My shocks at 180,000+ miles seem a little soft when towing, so firmer might be better.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Default good news then re Arnott's

Originally Posted by taylorm334
The Arnott's are installed and so far I cant tell much of a difference. When comparing the factory struts to these, The Arnott's seem much better designed and built. I can tell they are a little firmer, but most people wont even notice. So first 24 hours in! Ill post a month review as it comes up and I've used them off road.
I noticed that the Arnott's look a bit different - less metal can and more rubber boot so it appears. I guess one really does not want to feel much difference in operation - actually I think the factory air springs are pretty good overall so probably similar operation is good. Also if the Arnott's seem a bit stiffer, maybe new factory would as well. We will look forward to future updates.

I see you have a pretty thorough maintenance program in place. I think that is wise as routine replacement of parts is a lot cheaper than towing and then replacement at a time and place not of your choosing.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbyer
Also if the Arnott's seem a bit stiffer, maybe new factory would as well. We will look forward to future updates.
I've thought about this as well. The Australians suggest that the factory shocks where out at 60,000 Km! Hopefully the Arnotts last longer.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, If the service bulletin says it, I try to make sure its done (Using myself and trusty INDY shops of course). Next I plan to add a sump guard in the front and do a tranny flush soon. Only prob is, the LR dealership here and all the INDY shops are telling my not to flush the tranny. So we shall see....

On another note, I have one good LR3/RRS strut for sale if anyone needs one! $125.00

Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

What I've heard on this board and others from all our techs that post is that if there is no current issues with your tranny, then flushing is fine. If there is already some slippage and such, then a flush could make it worse.

I'm not sure what one does, in that latter case...besides just waiting for it to die and then replacing it. ????

Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Shocks are shocks I figure.

Originally Posted by jafir
I've thought about this as well. The Australians suggest that the factory shocks where out at 60,000 Km! Hopefully the Arnott's last longer.
I kind of think that shocks are shocks - they only last so long; good ones longer than cheap ones and paved lanes vs potholes. In Australia, the 3's get pretty rough use, lots of gravel and bumps; us, we get pot holes in pavement at speed - neither are ideal unless you are a shock absorber manufacturer. I expect Arnott specs a pretty good shock in their design - it makes no sense to cheap out on the shock given that is where the first failure point will be.

Probably the one bad design aspect of our 3's is that in a practical sense, when you need you new shocks, you best purchase the whole assembly. In theory the air spring rubber is still good except guess where the oil went that escaped the now useless shock - hence one may as well replace the whole assembly. The older FFRR's have the shock separate from the air spring, hence one can just replace the shocks normal like, as is required.

Quick Reply: Compressor and Suspension Question